The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stuck Gas Pedal on cold mornings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Stuck Gas Pedal on cold mornings

Hello everyone,
    Lately it has been getting pretty cold here at night. As I leave to go to work in the morning I notice that my gas pedal does not move at all. It gets stuck and I have to put a bit of force into the pedal to "free" it again. Is anyone experiencing this at all? Just curious to know what's going on. My initial guess is that it has something to do with the throttle.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah, it is the TB. whats happening is the throttle cable pulley is sticking to the idle control screw. put a little dab of motor oil on the end of the screw. just a LITTLE, u dont want that stuff dripping all over the place. that should help you for a while.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    yeah, it is the TB. whats happening is the throttle cable pulley is sticking to the idle control screw. put a little dab of motor oil on the end of the screw. just a LITTLE, u dont want that stuff dripping all over the place. that should help you for a while.
    sorry to bring up a thread from years ago... ill be the first to admit, im not that car-smart. can anyone tell me where the idle control screw is located, or have a pic?

hey... at least i searched

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Def digging up old post here, but I have been having this issue in the mornings or when my car has just not ran for a while. As long as it is cold out my gas pedal sticks.Usually if I left my car warm up its fine. This morning it seemed to take forever. Any ideas or can any one give more info on the trick mentioned above

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    I have the same thing. When I turn on my car, if I don't have time to let it run for a while to warm up, I just rev it a little in park. Problem solved for me. But if it warms up for 10-15 min, it is fine. Also, along with mine doing that, the engine makes "grinding" noises. But it is only on cold starts. The dealer told me it is because its a V6 and the oil is just warming up. Once it is warm, the pedal and "grinding" noise is fine.

I have a 99 Galant as well, if thats still what you have, yeh I try to rev it in park to unstick it but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

I see a few post on here about cleaning the throttle body and the line but I have no clue really where to start and cant afford to pay a shop to do it.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know from just reading exactly how to do it. But every once in a while the revving doesn't always work. So since my driveway goes into the "main" condo road before the actual main road, I have a few speed bumps to go over and get it to un-stick before getting onto the main road and possibly causing a problem for others. I would PM someone like RedGalant2K1 or one of the other members that have been here for a while and ask your questions. They would have the best knowledge about this, even if they don't have the problem.

Yeh I have noticed too that if Im somewhere where I can coast with the RPMs drivng he car that it will unstick faster. Just sucks when you think its done playing games and pull onto the major road and it manages to stick on you again.

thanks for you help and if I can find them to PM them I will give it a try. As you can see Im new to the forums.
    99 Galant

same problem here.. usually i give a few taps to the pedal.. helps it a little until 5-10 mins later when everything goes back to normal.. kinda irritating

Icon11

oh no.. its not the Toyota syndrome....

Quote Originally Posted by KaziKai View Post
    you do know that toyota's pedals send electronic signals and they dont use a cable

I know the problem/solution to this since this had occured to me while back....

There's gunk composed of dust/oil/water building up between the intake manifold and the throttle body "butterfly" valve. During cold starts, it takes a while for the gunk to soften up in order for the throttle body to move efficiently thus the reason why the gas pedal wouldn't move. You can prevent this by cleaning the butterfly and the outer tunnel in the manifold with Throttle Body Cleaner. Make sure you separate the throttle body from the IM to clean in between. Keep in mind if you ignore this problem the gunk will eventualy make it into the IAC (Idle Air Controler) module located under the throttle body thus rendering it useless. Your car will turnover during startup and shuts down immediately. You can get a replacement IAC new at the dealership for $250 or you can get one at the junkyard for $15 but you can prevent this from ever happening if you just clean the throttle body periodically.

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar

My local Nissan dealer is already doing comericals that their pedals don't stick to get people to buy Nissan's over Toyota's. Some douche bag was on the news today talking about suing Toyota for his car crashing because hes too scared to drive it now. BTW, they completely repaired it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    I know the problem/solution to this since this had occured to me while back....

There's gunk composed of dust/oil/water building up between the intake manifold and the throttle body "butterfly" valve. During cold starts, it takes a while for the gunk to soften up in order for the throttle body to move efficiently thus the reason why the gas pedal wouldn't move. You can prevent this by cleaning the butterfly and the outer tunnel in the manifold with Throttle Body Cleaner. Make sure you separate the throttle body from the IM to clean in between. Keep in mind if you ignore this problem the gunk will eventualy make it into the IAC (Idle Air Controler) module located under the throttle body thus rendering it useless. Your car will turnover during startup and shuts down immediately. You can get a replacement IAC new at the dealership for $250 or you can get one at the junkyard for $15 but you can prevent this from ever happening if you just clean the throttle body periodically.
    Do you have any pictures or a how to on this? Or could you make it next time you have to do it?

Yes please if there is anyway to include pictures or step by step of the process Id greatly appreciate it. I plan on working on it on Tuesday this week.
    99 Galant

Step by step, and yes it's really this simple.

1. Locate your throttle body.
    2. Remove intake piping.
    3. Unplug the TPS and IAC pigtails.
    4. Disconnect the 2 coolant lines.
    5. Disconnect the vacuum hoses and remember where they connect.
    6. Disconnect the throttle cable.
    7. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the base of the Throttle Body to the Intake Manifold.
    8. Clean the entire inside of the throttle body.

Installation is opposite of removal.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    My local Nissan dealer is already doing comericals that their pedals don't stick to get people to buy Nissan's over Toyota's. Some douche bag was on the news today talking about suing Toyota for his car crashing because hes too scared to drive it now. BTW, they completely repaired it for free.
    This is like a loaded gun that goes off by itself with nobody touching it. Would you want to keep that mother fucker? Fuck no.

FIxxed mine woohoo thanks for the help guys
    99 Galant

Still haven't fixed mine. I'll have to try to figure it out when it gets a little warmer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast