The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Climate Control Screen

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    GPTourer

Climate Control Screen

I have a '97 LS. Instead of the tried and true three dial A/C setup like my Eclipse and most other Mitsubishi's have, they got fancy and gave me a multi button setup with an LCD screen for my HVAC similar to the Diamante. However, the screen stopped working. Well, actually it never really worked when I got it, but was intermittent - now its completely out. All the buttons still work and the heat and air function correctly, I just have to guess. Is there anyways to repair this? Is it as simple as taking it apart and replacing a bulb? My dealer of course, says they don't service them and if I want it fixed I just have to shell out like, 9 or 12 bills. The whole car isn't worth that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

it might be a fuse that went out, try checking your fuse box, on your driver side, its right behind your speaker, if not then check your fuse box under you hood. another thing that it might be is that your "Illumination"(SP?) wire might be loose or spliced, whic is why you get no picture. sorry i couldtn be of no more help.

Damn I wanted to get one of those for mine. Looks like it's a good thing I didn't. It's like.. what happens to all of those Nav systems in 10 or 12 years that are in a bunch of cars now.

GPTourer
    I checked all the related fuses, all of them seemed to be fine. I'm thinking it is inside the unit, or else I would have lost more functionality (or lighting) if it were a fuse. All my interior lights, chime, radio and the HVAC front panel lights do work. I'll have to wait until dark to check the dimmer switch if that is what you mean by the illumination wire. The lady that had it before me didn't have any aftermarket stereo or alarm equipment. Strangely enough, the car has the infiniti system, but the radio will only pick up AM stations. I haven't had the chance to install my system from my old car yet so I've been listening to my portable MP3 player in the car.

The screen is a simple backlit design, kind of like and old electronic game. When you look at it from an angle you can see all the possible arrows, symbols and pictograms crowded in, they just need to be lit to be seen. So its nothing like a true LCD display like in the newer Monteros. That's why I'm hoping it can be fixed. I just have to get up the nerve to take it apart.

BlankMan
    Most likely it's the backighting that's gone out. Not sure on this unit, but alot of the older LCDs used one LED for the whole back lighting. If you are going to take it apart, check for the LED first...

J

GPTourer
    Well, what do you know. The sumbitch started working again on its own. Even came back on after shutting it down a couple of times. Don't know what I did, but maybe it will last. Thanks, guys.

Experienced TGC Member
    I havn't seen a car with a tape deck in sooooooo long.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    My head unit crapped out on me a few weeks ago and I put the stock tape unit back in for a few days...

NinjaWarGod
    could that ac unit work in a 95 es, if so, would there need any extra wiring. becuase i found one for a 97 dinamate,

NinjaWarGod
    never mind found the post on another forum. dont want to spend the money

GPTourer
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>I havn't seen a car with a tape deck in sooooooo long.</div>

Ha, ha yeah. I actually had to go buy the tape deck adapter so I could use my MP3 player in the car. The girl at Best Buy looked at me funny when I asked her about them, as if I was looking for an 8-track deck or something. I must be getting old.

When I get my sound system put in this car, maybe my radio people can help me with fixing it - the damn thing went out AGAIN. ARRRGH.