The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: reconfiguring MAF's

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    theblackpearl

reconfiguring MAF's

how is this done and how much does it help?

explain your question... are you turbo / supercharged and you want eliminate your MAF or vent to atmosphere? i'm not sure what you are asking.

theblackpearl
    nah none of the above YET! lol... i was just reading some posts an saw that if you get a new intake an a header its good to reconfigure your maf to the boost of air flow coming through now...i was just curious...

your mas is a self clibrating sensor, and will automatically adjust to any more air entering your engine. your ecu interperates this extra air and adds of subrtacts fuel for the new values that the maf is seeing.
    so to answer your question, no.
    there is a technique called hacking, that removes the restrictions in your mas by removing the lower and side honeyombs to let more air in, but DO NOT do this on your car, cause it will run like shit, and its not worth it.
    When you hack a mas, you have to have a tuning tool to compesate for the extra air that enters the engine that the mas will not see.
    so for now, just don't worry about it. its not worht it, because you are still within the acceptable airfow parameters of the MAS

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

think about it, if you live in the mountains where the air is thin, and you drive around, your ecu knows that the air is thin and adjust fuel accordingly.

but if you were to drive you car down to new orleans(below sea level)
    your car would still run fine, even though the air is denser(more pressure at that altitude) the car will still run fine, it might even run stronger cause the ecu can give more fuel to go with the denser air charge.

its automatic baby.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

theblackpearl
    thats exactly what happend man..i live up in the mountains and i drove to LA recently and when i was down there i noticed my car was running stronger..i was like damn i gotta get me some of this air up where i live...