The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to install boost gauge on a VR4

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

How to install boost gauge on a VR4

Decided to wright up a nice tutorial on how to install boost gauge for people who want to do a DIY.

Tools used:
    1. Flat screwdriver.
    2. Soldering iron.
    3. Phillips screwdriver.
    4. Plyers.
    5. Spare wire.
    6. Boost Gauge.

Approximate time taken 2 hours.

1. I have been looking all over the engine bay to find a nice spot to run the tubing from the boost controller and found this one that prooves to be perfect spot. Its near the Brake fluid container.
    h=

I started working from inside out trying to find all the spots that i can use to run the hose through. Taken the side indicater out to have a better view. Would have been better if i removed the fender, but saved bunch of time right there.

The hose ended up being long enough to run from engine bay to the interior. I just ran it along the air pipes under the rubbery covers as per pic. It looks all over the place as i havent yet tighten it up.

Right accross from where side indicator sits, bunch of wiers go into the interior, was a perfect spot to run the hose to the inside of the car.

and here is the pic from the inside, once i removed the cover.

So now i have the hose running from the engine bay to the interior. I have removed the plastic corner on the right hand side from the dash, as it gives a better access to the bottom coz thats where you would want to stick anther piece of pipe or wire, to fish out the initial part of the hose and lift it up by joining the two with a wire of some sort.

Now that this is done, time to get some loose wire and soldering iron and solder the wires together as the once that came with boost gauge are short. Use different coloured wires to know which is plus and which is minus. I have used black as my plus and black with white stripe is the minus.

Make sure you isolate the wires first individually and then together with electrical tape. After that run the wires through the pod and hose into it connecting the hose to the intake of the gauge. Run the wires down to the side where hose is which is easy and I personally connected the positive to the ciggaret lighter light and negative to the stereo surround. Easy process of running wiers under the dash.

Should look like this when finished.

In the engine bay, cut the U shaped hose that is next to the throttle body cable running into the manifold. Use T connecter to connect both hoses as well as boost gauge hose and secure all using zip ties. Start your car and off you go
    BETTER GET TO IT NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

Nice tutorial NZ, but why did you mount it on the passenger side of the car and what's a side indicator??? Just kidding Kiwi. It looks good and the concept is the same for the USDM guys.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.