The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trunk won't open when lever is pulled.

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Trunk won't open when lever is pulled.

All of sudden the lever that you pull to open the trunk isn't working. It was working fine before. What could have caused it to malfunction and how do I fix it? Thanks.
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

there are springs in the mechanism that release the latch to the trunk that are connected to the lever inside the car.

check the lines from the lever to the hatch, you will find one that has been disconnected. you might have to pull one of the springs over the notch where it should be connected. your cable may have become detached from the lever as well.

i took mine apart, so that i can only open my trunk with the key. keeps things in there safe and sound... for the most part

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Thanks for the reply, but the stranges thing just happened. It works again. My g/f had moved the seat up so she can reach the pedals and it the lever wouldn't work. So I pushed the seat back to my usual position, and pulled the lever and it worked! This is strange :?
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

maybe when she moved the seat up you couldnt pull the lever enough to release the latch..... dunno.... ?

if it works - done. and done

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

isn't there a swtich near the actual trunk latch that disables the lever up front? it's like the child safe switches on the rear doors which deactivate the the rear inside door handles...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>isn't there a swtich near the actual trunk latch that disables the lever up front? Â*it's like the child safe switches on the rear doors which deactivate the the rear inside door handles...</div>

Yes, I saw that switch. It says "Free" and "Lock." But that didn't help either. Apparently, the trunk release lever is affected by the position of the driver seat. It works fine now. I just told my g/f to move the seat back is she uses the lever. Kind of a hastle, but atleast it works.

when that happened to me, it was because my trunk latch failed. my old trunk latch is a failure
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush