The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Finally able to check my the SES light!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

Finally able to check my the SES light!

Okay, so I ordered a USB ELM327 cable when stonent showed everyone a video of it on his Jeep.

It came from Hong Kong, and took like three weeks to get here, but it got here. When I finally was able to use it, I realized my laptop's Bluetooth had stopped working. After working through half the night, taking the laptop apart to see if hardware was damaged, and trying to uninstall, reinstall drivers, etc., I finally got Bluetooth to work this morning when I turned the laptop on.

So, I go out too the G, find the OBD II port, and start her up. After configuring the port and other things, I read the codes. This is what I was told:

P0441
    P0441*
    P0455
    P0455*

Okay, so it said I had 2 DTCs. What am I supposed to make of the asterisked ones? It said [Pending] on both of them, so I have no idea what that means. I was only given a description for 0441, something about emissions and incorrect, and purge. I don't remember, but I thought there was a list of codes and explanations on here for the 8Gs, but can't seem to find it.

Anyone have any idea what to do about these codes?
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

they are just pending. before u get a cel it will determine if it will go off and it did. just Google the code and u will see what it is

I saw both of them. They're related, and both apparently to do with fuel and the EVAP system.

Does anyone know where I should start looking/what to look for? I noticed when I fill the car up with gas it'll occasionally smell a bit like gas for a while, but I always assumed I just got gas on my fingers.
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

Check gas cap first, most common. Look at the seal.

I just re-read the topic title... I can't believe I made that mistake.

Checked the cap and seal. The seal is fully intact and they both look fine.
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

ok this is what ur gona do. fill the tank up all the way if ur leaking gas on the passenger side then ur fuel tank is cracked and leaking from the fuel pressure sensor on the tank. way to fix this is ether replace the tank or patch it. I had the same codes till I droped the tank and replaced it. and no more evap codes, remember this is what happens to me could be different but u say u smell gas I would start there

I filled it up just now. I'll see tomorrow if there's any leakage.
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

ur better off keeping an eye on it now, by the time morning comes u wont see anything, unless u have a pan to catch it,

Well, I've checked twice since I filled it up. I got under the car and followed the lines. I didn't see anything on the ground, and smelled no hint of gas.

By the way, I smelled the gas while I was DRIVING the car after filling it, for reference.
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

mmmmmm might want to check the fuel pump and make sure the cap and seal is on tight but other then that im lost, i had the same codes till i notice a gas smell and while i was working outside i saw a huge puddle under the car, after loosing 3gals of gas after i filled up every week i found the source and replaced the tank, since then i dont have those codes any more and the only code i have is a p0400 code witch is egr, witch started after i installed the tank, so i have to check the hose going to the evp system and make sure its ok.....

Quote Originally Posted by finald8ta View Post
    mmmmmm might want to check the fuel pump and make sure the cap and seal is on tight but other then that im lost, i had the same codes till i notice a gas smell and while i was working outside i saw a huge puddle under the car, after loosing 3gals of gas after i filled up every week i found the source and replaced the tank, since then i dont have those codes any more and the only code i have is a p0400 code witch is egr, witch started after i installed the tank, so i have to check the hose going to the evp system and make sure its ok.....
    Do you have any diagnostic experience? Everything you are recommending he check are not the usual things to check first.

The first thing to check is the gas cap. That can be the problem.

The next thing to check (which is a common problem) is that the purge valve is either stuck open or closed. My guess is that it is probably closed.

A leaky gas tank is not a common problem. To go out to the car every hour and check to see any leaks from the tank is absurd.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    Do you have any diagnostic experience? Everything you are recommending he check are not the usual things to check first.

The next thing to check (which is a common problem) is that the purge valve is either stuck open or closed. My guess is that it is probably closed.

A leaky gas tank is not a common problem. To go out to the car every hour and check to see any leaks from the tank is absurd.
    It's pretty obvious he isn't a mechanic. He was just speaking from personal experience(what's wrong with that?). Regardless, it took less than five minutes of my life total to look under the car twice. I've never noticed large amounts of gas leaking or my fuel gauge drop for no reason, but it didn't take long, it was easy, and I was able to rule something out.

How does one check the purge solenoid's position(which is what the Hayne's manual says you're referring to)?
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

Some folk just do things ass-backwards I guess....
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 08-25-2011 at 04:05 AM

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post

not to be a dick here butt do i see anyone else answering this mans questions??????? NO

no i might not be a mechanic butt i been working on cars for nearly 18 yr and still learning

yes im going off personal experience, i had the same problem
    when i ask for help i didnt get help from anyone here did all the search in the world and got no where, and i solved the problem on my own

next time u have something to say help someone out instead of bashing the person who is

now sry to piss u off butt this is a forum to help ppl out and thats all im doing

back on topic

bring on more red nuggets lol I love them......
    look I respect everyone here and all I'm doing is helping out. u don't see many ppl doin that. if it the wrong info someone can always chime in.
    iirc there was a post about leaky fuel tanks leaking at the fuel pressure sensor that I found on alldata. ill find it when I get home after work.

peace

Quote Originally Posted by finald8ta View Post
    now sry to piss u off butt this is a forum to help ppl out and thats all im doing

back on topic

"sry" "u" and "ppl"; I hope you're on a cell phone brah.... Little things like that says a lot about who you take seriously.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 08-25-2011 at 04:09 AM

The majority of people in the world don't type out full words and coherent sentences; that's the price you have to pay for living in the age where every person 10+ has a cell phone and MSN Messenger.
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

He's not 10. And, if you have completed four years of High School and still want to go back to "skool" for a degree, You should stop now and save yourself a lot of money.

Cell Phones and the age you started to a/s/l in chat rooms has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    He's not 10. And, if you have completed four years of High School and still want to go back to "skool" for a degree, You should stop now and save yourself a lot of money.

Cell Phones and the age you started to a/s/l in chat rooms has nothing to do with it.
    I'm pretty sure ten years of linguistic studies would prove you wrong in a second.But who cares? You're obviously taking offense to his style of writing so there's no reason to try to talk sense into you.

High school and you shouldn't be capitalized in the middle of a sentence, by the way; and ten needs to be written out unless it's the beginning of a sentence. Who's ten years old now?
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

o man.......
    what have i done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast