The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replacing power window motor / regulator is easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Replacing power window motor / regulator is easy.

2 weeks ago my driver side power window stopped working. The motor would spin but not move the glass. I bought a new regulator/motor on e-bay for $126 from San Bernadino Mitsu. I was expecting to have a hard time installing it but it couldn't have been easier. One thing that helped me was that the window was taped in the up position. This gave easy access to the regulator and motor. Anyone on this board can do this repair themselves. Here are the steps I followed.

1. Remove door panel - remove 5 screws and pull on panel
    2. Cut plastic that covers door inards in such a way that you can retape it back.
    3. Raise window glass to up position if it is not up and tape glass in position.
    4. Remove old regulator - 4 screws and take it out through the lower gap in the door panel.
    5. Remove old motor - 3 screws and unplug electical connection.
    6. Insert new regulator and motor.
    7. Bolt new motor and regulator in and plug new motor into harness.
    8. Reconnect door panel electric.
    9. Raise regulator to uppermost position.
    10. Bolt window to regulator.
    11. Test window.
    12. Reinstall door panel. It helps to have window down when doing this.

Time 1 hours or less.

moved to turotial section. I am guessing you didn't take pics of the install...
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

I am guessing you didn't take pics of the install...
    Sorry, no I didn't.

This actually was a very simple project. The only problem I ran in to is that my window was off track and for the life of me I couldn't get it back on track. Having an auto glass installation place do that for me, but the actual removal of the old motor and replacing with the new one was very simple. Took about 30 mins from starting to take off the door panel until everything was hooked up and running.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

just did it this week. 30 mins at most

my window (driver side) window stopped working today. It would only move an inch and then stop. I took off the door panal to see what was stopping it and while trying to move the window up and down the regulator fell apart. I think one of the metal cables that pulls the window up and down had broken and by operating the motor, I broke the regulator. Now the motor spins with the window switch, but its not attached to anything. Both the cables are now broken. I am planning to order a regulator from a local mitsu dealer, but my question is that does the Regulator come with the motor, regulator AND the cables? Is it difficult to hook up the cables? Please help me since the window is now free and falls down and I can't park my car anywhere! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2_blue View Post
    my window (driver side) window stopped working today. It would only move an inch and then stop. I took off the door panal to see what was stopping it and while trying to move the window up and down the regulator fell apart. I think one of the metal cables that pulls the window up and down had broken and by operating the motor, I broke the regulator. Now the motor spins with the window switch, but its not attached to anything. Both the cables are now broken. I am planning to order a regulator from a local mitsu dealer, but my question is that does the Regulator come with the motor, regulator AND the cables? Is it difficult to hook up the cables? Please help me since the window is now free and falls down and I can't park my car anywhere! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    YES! THIS happened to me too! So do i need to replace everything? Info would be great, its been like this for five months,..... needs to get fixed....

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

I ordered it from: https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

They usually have the best rates for all the parts.

Replacement wasn't hard at all. Just be patient and take your time. Do it right ... do it once. Not hard at all. Took me about 25 minutes with basic tools.

Good luck!

thestig
    my window motor works fine but when the window is going up and almost gets to the top. it goes sideways and i have to mess with it every time. any ideas? i took the motor and regulator out before so i know thats easy. i tightened all the bolts. i just dont know what to do its starting to bother me.

Clean out the channels with a wet towel or somthing ... until the cloth doesn't come out black after a pass ... then spray it with a silicone based lubricant. make sure the glass is alligned with the channel properly. It should work.

thestig
    nice thanks. i tried wiping with wet towel. but never the silicone based lube. that's a good idea. thanks again

Sorry for bumping this thread again but I'm pretty new to cars and would like to fix my broken passenger side window myself, since I will save over a 100 bucks.... Is the front right part in this link all I need to fix the window?

http://www.autopartsworld.com/mitsub...ator/2001.html

Any tips or links to how to take my door panel off? I should be able to figure it out myself but I figured I would ask

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kmfdm22 View Post
    Sorry for bumping this thread again but I'm pretty new to cars and would like to fix my broken passenger side window myself, since I will save over a 100 bucks.... Is the front right part in this link all I need to fix the window?

http://www.autopartsworld.com/mitsub...ator/2001.html

Any tips or links to how to take my door panel off? I should be able to figure it out myself but I figured I would ask

thanks!
    It depends on what's broken on your window. If its the motor or the regulaor or the cable ... then yes ... this is the correct part.

Depending on your expertise on working with tools, its not very complicated. You will need patience though...

1. Remove the 3 screw covers (one to the front side of the door panel ... two on the rear side) and remove the screws.

2. Remove the screw that holds the door handle cup (you may have to pull and hold the inside door handle while you remove this screw)

3. Remove the screw inside the 'door pull' on the panel ... the door-pull is the part that you grab when you are sitting in the car and you want to close the door.

4. Pull the bottom end of the door panel to remove the plastic clips. You may have to pull pretty hard if this is the first time the door panel is being opened.

5. Once all the plastic clips have been unlocked lift the panel upwards so that the top side of the panel gets off the edge (where the window comes up.

6. Remove the power window/locks banal electric grip (there is a clip on one side of the grip ...you have to press it and pull the grip out)

7. Remove the plastic dust cover off the door.

8. Replace the window regulator.

9. Assembly is reverse of dis-assembly. However putting the top part of the door panel back on can be a little tricky. You will have to try to slide the front part of the panel in place first. This is where a lot of patience and presistence is required if you are doing this the first time.

Get a worshop manual or somthing for further details. Good Luck!

the motor is still good, it's the cable that went. Do they sell those brand new individually? I wouldn't want to buy anything used I don't think.

My dad wants to know, how do you hook up the wire to the motor and the window? (I hope this isn't a dumb question)

thanks for your help I really appreciate it
    Last edited by Kmfdm22; 06-26-2009 at 09:01 AM

no you cant. you have to buy the whole assembly. Read the posts above.

This is what mine looked like...

No wonder it didnt work XD

The total install took me about 3+ hours. But I took a few breaks so I didn't drive myself crazy. I'm not really a car guy so even though it took me 3 times as long, I'm glad I did it myself. I was so close to just having my friend do it for me but I'm glad I didn't

Funny you said how putting the door panel back on was the hardest part. I got it on the first try. Putting the door panel on was cake, everything else was a pain in the ass..

I'm glad I figured out that I need to plug in the door panel for the motor to work. When I first hooked up the motor, I turned on the car to see if the mechanism on the regulator worked. I was getting nothing so I knew it was an electrical problem (or a broken brand new motor lol). But then I was like, hmmm maybe I should plug in the door panel and see if it works. What does that do, ground the current or something? Anyway thanks for your help!

This happened to me this morning, there was a tiny bot of plastic that broke off the plastic Y wire guide.
    Found a few used regulators on ebay and got one for 80 bucks.
    Should be a quick fix once i get it in.
    02 Galant GTZ stock
    00 S10 Bagged on 20's Suicide Doors 5 link and control arms, more to come!

going to try this weekend thanks

Great thread. I'm having a hard time finding these parts for the rear passenger side window. Am I missing something or is it the same as the front even though not specified anywhere I've looked? Thanks.
    2003 ES 2.4L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast