The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Painting CF Hood??

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Painting CF Hood??

My cars at the shop getting painted this week. My cf hood is all faded and dull so i was thinking of having them paint the hood until i can get some extra cash to buy a new one. Iv read that you have to use a speacial type of paint since the hood flexs while driving. Can anybody help me out with alittle info on what kinda paint or what I need to tell the body shop to make sure it gets done right with teh correct materials. I dont want them to use the wrong shit and then have my hood even more fucked off.

Thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    You just paint it the same way you would a regular sheet metal hood. They flex just like stock hoods do. No need for any kind of special paint.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    ipaintu said its not as smooth as glass.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    It will be if it's done right. I've been fooled by Fiberglass and Cf painted hoods before, thought they were stock because how smooth and shiny they were.

The shop should all ready know what to do... there is no special paint need you just need to get it recleared. If you are going to paint it all one color or parts of it a different color then I would suggest they primer it first so you don't get pin holes showing to much...

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
    The shop should all ready know what to do... there is no special paint need you just need to get it recleared. If you are going to paint it all one color or parts of it a different color then I would suggest they primer it first so you don't get pin holes showing to much...
    Agreed. I've see faded CF brought back to life from reclearing.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    If your trying to make it not look faded, the whole hood needs to be block sanded with wet 800-1000 grit, just to scuff it up a bit. Then it needs to be recleared, probably 2 -3 coats of clear, then a really good wetsand with 1500 and maybe even 2000 if your up to it. Once thats done, a nice compound polish.

If your painting the hood, you still have to sand it to make the next coat "bite" into it. Like someone suggested above you should use a primer or a sealer to keep the color from bleeding thru. If your painting the hood any color but black, I would use a sealer for sure. Also, there isnt a special type of paint, but rather an additive. Its called flex additive, its the same stuff they add to the paint when they paint bumpers because bumpers are flexible and the additive is needed so the paint doesnt crack and flake off when the bumper flexes. With that being said, im not sure you would even need that, as the amount that hood will flex is no where close to as much as a bumper. You should be OK with the same mixture they use to paint the sheet metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

TGC Regular
    You know what would be interesting?
    If you 'tinted' the CF hood.... so that in certain angles that the light/sun hits the CF--you'll see a different color CF.
    Like this one CF ring this company makes... It's pretty neat!
    You can have the best of both worlds--sort of!
    'o4 Acura TL: Dynamic ;; AEM | P2R | Falken

Sound.Vision.Soul // Drive.Drift.Dream

kinda like remedy's??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

^^
    that looks hot!!! :D

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    kinda like remedy's??

Yeah that is sick.

Thats my intention when I get my CF hood and get the car painted. I just want the shop to dust the hood with some of the flake and then clear it, that will give it the same effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS