The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: whats the esiest way to drain the gas tank?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

whats the esiest way to drain the gas tank?

i have gas in my tank from oct 06 lol and im about to fire up my car again for the first time since then. i'm not really in the mood to drop the tank while its on jack stands and drain it that way, any other ideas?

i thought about opening up the lid where the fuel pump is and siphoning it out that way... good idea or no?

the gas is 100 octane from my turbo days... so what about adding gas stabilizer? i know its supposed to go in before you store the car but is it ok to put in in right before you start the car?
    http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Gas_Stabilize.cfm

oh yah i forgot to mention before i pulled the engine i pulled the fuel pump relay and ran the car till it died so theres no fuel in the lines
    Last edited by underated; 03-09-2008 at 12:06 AM
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

WarmAndSCSI
    How much gas is still in the tank? Might just want to fill it up with some fresh gas and just run it around until you can replenish the system with new gas.

Otherwise, do you see any reason you couldn't gravity siphon the gas straight out of the filler tube? Just get enough fresh gas in there for the engine to run. Dump a few bottles of iso-heet in as well to get rid of any water that may be in the old gas.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    syphon(sp)

i could siphon it out through the filler neck i just thought the fuel pump spot might be more direct

oh and thanks for reminding me about the water

by the way do you know how long it take before the gas turns gummy?
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

WarmAndSCSI
    If you want to pull the fuel pump assembly, that's your prerogative. I mean, in that case you have to worry about possibly replacing the gasket around the assembly.

Not sure how long it would take 100 octane to gum up.

yah i forgot about that it was fine when i removed it to install the walbro probably dont want to chance it again... im gonna go buy a siphon pump and see what comes out and take it from there thanks TJ

i dunno how smart it is to use a wetvac (might contaminate the tank), but thats an idea also.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Disconnect the feed line at the pump, connect a host from the feed line to a bucket, jump the fuel pump with a 12v, let the fuel pump drain it for you? I did it this way once back in '04, worked pretty good.
    7g for life!

silverlightning
    Just put fresh 92 octane in their and fire it up, I have had gas sit in some of my cars up to 2.5 years without starting it (I would run them empty like you) Just put the fresh stuff in it and drive it 20-30 miles on the highway and it was good to go........

just pull the fuel return line after the fuel pressure regulator where the soft flex hose meets the factory steel return line.

take that hose. maybe use a coupler nipple to connect it to another longer length of hose....

take that long length of hose and put it into a trach can or whatever you desire...

then energize the fuel pump check terminal with a 12v source. and your fuel pump will pump all the gas out of yoru tank on its own.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

WarmAndSCSI
    I think he wants to avoid using the fuel pump just in case the fuel is gummed up. No need to clog his fuel pickup and fuel filter...

if you used a quality fuel, its not really going to GUM up. its just going to seperate into water, and broken down fuel.

any sediment (if any) would have long since settled into the bottom of the tank by now.

as for fuel filter worries...... obviously its been at least 2 years since your car has run... and i doubt you changed the fuel filter the very last day you drove your car before decommisioning it.
    Assuming your fuel filter is 3 or more years old. I think its safe to say you should count on changing it anyways. The oem paper filter has degraded by now i'm sure.
    Considering that a new filter is so inexpensive its a no brainer.

So pump out the fuel, get that filter nice and clogged up. then install new fuel filter, and fill with some high quality gas and fuel system cleaner additive.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

WarmAndSCSI
    Fuel filter on the 8G is internal to the pump sender assembly and isn't so cheap. $60 is what I paid for mine. That, and it's not supposed to be a service item. They put it there cause it's never intended to be changed unless you really suck up some nasty shit through the pickup.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Ah filter on the 7g is external and just snaps to the bottum of the pump. Also a cheap part :P

Either way, you can get syphoning pumps at Autozone for under $20.
    7g for life!