The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Krylon fusion painting, staying sticky...

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Krylon fusion painting, staying sticky...

I just started to do some more interior pieces and Ive been using the krylon fusion paint with no problems untill today. I painted the arm rest in the middle of the 2 front seats and after it dried it stayed sticky and paint comes off of it if you press down. Im not sure how to fix this so I come here to see if anyone else has had this problem.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    What kind of weather was it when you painted? Is the 8g center console plastic or vynil?
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    That center piece is soft rubber, that is why is a good idea to plan ahead and wrap some pieces. Might try some trim paint but I don't think it will hold very well either.

Man I did the exact same thing with the same paint. I let my armrest sit for a week and it never dried. If you want it a different color I'm pretty sure you'll have to dye it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    The armrest is vinyl I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't use Fusion on that or any other plastic in the car. I just use the normal Krylon paint. I wouldn't paint any of the vinyl either, just wrap it. The armrest is fairly easy to take apart

I used the fusion on my radio bezel, gauge bezel, and my door armrests and it turned out really well. Its been about a year and I have no chips or peeling but I used adhesion promoter prior to painting.

I think the Fusion should be fine as long as you still prep the plastic, but if I'm prepping the plastic I might as well just use normal spray paint. The fusion is made to be used without having to prep the surface of whatever you're painting

But i've heard stories of the Fusion not holding up too well when the plastic wasn't prepped

Yeah thats what It said but I didnt want to take the chance of it coming off so I probably overdid it. My main reason for using the fusion was the texture and to cover up that factor woodgrain.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    i used that krylon for the lower dash, it looks really good. ive talked to Raz about this before tho, for the arm rest you need to either dye it, or bcuz its rubber, just rewrap it with something else of the color you want

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx_GTZ View Post
    Yeah thats what It said but I didnt want to take the chance of it coming off so I probably overdid it. My main reason for using the fusion was the texture and to cover up that factor woodgrain.
    i agree 100%, which is why i did the same exact thing and used the fusion. looks good too.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    i wish i did the fusion everywhere tho. the blue i did is pealing in the armrest under the part he wants to wrap

sry to thread jak, not trying to

lol i used rim paint on my trim....but i also did 5 layers of clear coat, wetsanded and waxed, so its sealed like the body of a car...the armrest was painted by Mapid, it held but looks like shit, im going to wrap it

hmm maybe i'll try the fusion on the lower section of my dash. I didn't want to have to sand all the fake vinyl texture out (I did on my glovebox and it was a PITA)

I didnt even think that because it was rubber it would adhere right. I guess ill just rewrap it in some black leather or something.

don't waste your money buying spray paint just wrap your armrest and your gonna be happy :)

i did wraped my radio bezel, shifter bezel armrest and the door armrest with nylex fabric and they looks really good

TURBO= in the making.......