The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TCU Problem????...please read through

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    suchluke

TCU Problem????...please read through

Its 1998 Galant with auto trans. The car started acting wierd this morning. When coming to the stop there is a big slam when downshifting from 2 to 1. There was also a problem when cruising on 2 and when hit on accelerator the tranny would slam to 1st. The rest of the gears works smooth. There is no problem with over drive. The car downshifts from od when going down hill, but after reading forums it seems normal (engine breaking). Does anyone had similar problem? I was thinking TCU, but I am not sure. Any help/comments would be greatly appriciated.

Second question. I am sure it has nothing to do with problem above. This was since we got the car. The tranny shifter button on top does not work. I can move the shifter without applying the brake or pressing the button on top. The side over drive button works fine. Any ideas?

Tranny isn't easy to diagnose, though It doesn't sound like the TCU usually that involves electrical malfunctions and CEL comes on.
    Sounds more like something mechanical going on inside the trans is starting/gone to crap, if I had to begin to guess. First start by checking the basics like thre fluid and its condition. Then check and see if the TCU has any codes. I would also check the ECU while your at it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Sounds more mechanical than electrical. What you are describing as the issue may be a bad torque converter possiblly.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    Sounds more mechanical than electrical. What you are describing as the issue may be a bad torque converter possiblly.
    First thing that ran through my mind after i read it.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Take your car in for a vehicle inspection they would do it for free at autoshops.