The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: High pitch squeal during acceleration

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

High pitch squeal during acceleration

Over the past 5 months i have progressively been hearing a high pitched squeal that comes from the drivers side front area. I cant diagnose for sure that its coming from the wheelwell or engine bay, but im pretty sure its the wheelwell though. The squeal will come on when i depress the accelerator about 1cm down. If i hold it at that position the squealing will continue, but if i accelerate harder it goes away. Also, if i let up just a little bit the squeal will go away. The sound of the squeal really doesn't sound like a belt squeal at all. It sounds more like a piece of metal rubbing on a rotor or something like that, but that doesn't really make any sense. Could it possibly be a bearing? Any suggestions will help!

check your tranny fluid

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Does it happen in park? If so, its a belt.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    i had the same problem, but only happens rarely when it's moist outside, mainly snow

No it doesnt happen in park. For me it never goes away... once i hit that one spot in the accelerator peddle it will squeal until i accelerate harder or let up.

Checking the tranny fluid does seem to be a great idea... It has been riding a lil' rough lately. Like when i shift into drive and such.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    check your wheels, then check to see if your strut is seated correctly and is not being rubbed by the axle. check your spindle dust cover

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

check the axel. there is a piece on the axel that might be spinning freely that isn't supposed to be. this can be tapped back into place with a screw driver & hammer

check your brakes any recent brake jobs?it could be the antirattle clips rubbing on the rotor.

yea ive checked the breaks thats not it... Im thinking its something with the axle. Thanks guys.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Put the front wheels up in the air on jack stands, start the car, put it in drive, try to make it squeal again. Will be easier to find out where its coming from.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    check the axel. there is a piece on the axel that might be spinning freely that isn't supposed to be. this can be tapped back into place with a screw driver & hammer
    ^^^^^^

I have the same issue,it happens mostly on high way, I can hear it clearly, very annoying.
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self tranny fluid changed
    Self oil change
    Next protject: Timing belt change

Quote Originally Posted by lg2002541 View Post
    I have the same issue,it happens mostly on high way, I can hear it clearly, very annoying.
    haha you should pay the money to figure out what the deal is. Im kinda poor right now.