The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SRS light wont go off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

SRS light wont go off

I have tried everything and do not want to take it to the dealer and pay $75. I tried resetting the battery, checked all the fuses and still stays on. It goes off when I reset the battery but comes right back on after a second. Has this happened to anyone else? I guess I will have to take it to the dealer cuz airbags are a neccesity but was curious if this happened to anyone else and it was a relay or something I could check. Any help or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    That would be your Safety Restraint System, has to do with your airbags.

Could be the clock spring.

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (G8) View Post
    Could be the clock spring.
    yep, that was my problem....but if your clock spring isn't working, neither is your airbag, and in my case, the horn did not work either

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

clock spring

Thanks, is that something you can replace or is it part of the airbags? Would I be able to fix it without replacing the airbags? How did you guys find that out?

You have to pull the steering wheel bag off and then the steering wheel. You will see it behind that, black circle that spins around with 3 wires. One for airbag, one for horn and one for cruise control. Disconnect those but first disconnect the battery before you start to take anything off. Last, the round clock spring ill have 2 phillips screws, take them out and just pull it off but to get to them, you have to remove the steering column cover also. Good luck. Looks like this.

srs

Thanks. Did that fix your problem and where did you get the part and how much was it. I looked online and I could not find the part. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by atish25 View Post
    Thanks. Did that fix your problem and where did you get the part and how much was it. I looked online and I could not find the part. Thanks again.
    Depending on what year your G is, there's a recall for the bad switches and clock spring in the steering wheel. I wound up having my entire airbag replaced by the dealer for no cost.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

If your SRS light is triggered, then you have to get the codes reset. It won't go back off if you trip it.

That is how it happened for me. Girlfriend's dad is a mechanic, so he just plugged up to the OBD and reset everything. :D

Quote Originally Posted by atish25 View Post
    I never had any problems with mine, I was just showing you where it's at.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    any decent mechanical shop can use a good OBDII scanner and clear the SRS light, the only way it will come back is if you have a real problem. I bet you can get it reset for about $25 at a mechanics shop. I have a Snap-On Solus II OBDII reader and it doesnt SRS lights no problem, find a decent mechanical shop and they can do it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Mine went off because I took the passenger's seat out without unhooking the battery.

UNHOOK BOTH POLES ON THE BATTERY WHEN DOING ANY ELECTRICAL WORK!
    Negative first, then positive. When hooking it back up, do positive, then negative.

Just in case you didn't know to do that.

I got a very stern talking to by the mechanic, which was my gf's dad. :)

I guess your car has side airbags then? I dont have side bags, so that never effected me. Mine turned on because I had to replace the ETACS ECU under the dash becaue my turn signals didnt work.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Yeah, there's airbags in the seats. I am assuming there is because it says SRS on the shoulder of the seat, and when I had to take the seat out, there was the SRS wiring attached to it. It had the yellow tubing around the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by lavie2k9 View Post
    Yeah, there's airbags in the seats. I am assuming there is because it says SRS on the shoulder of the seat, and when I had to take the seat out, there was the SRS wiring attached to it. It had the yellow tubing around the wires.
    Wow, I never knew this. I had to unbolt my seat a few weeks ago to do something to my amp and was about to unkook the seat wires but didn't because I was too lazy to do so. Thank goodness I didn't.
    sig too big

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmm View Post
    Wow, I never knew this. I had to unbolt my seat a few weeks ago to do something to my amp and was about to unkook the seat wires but didn't because I was too lazy to do so. Thank goodness I didn't.
    Yeah, if you mess up those wires and get the right voltage into it, you can kill yourself. I have done it a few times before he told me about that, and now I unhook the battery every time I do something like that.

Yeah but also remember side bags are an option, so not all 8g's have them
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Yeah but also remember side bags are an option, so not all 8g's have them
    I understand that. There's also wires under the dash for airbags also, so it would be smart to unhook the battery if you were doing any work under there also, right?

On top of that, you could short something and have to go dig for a fuse. I am just saying it wouldn't hurt anything to just unhook the battery.

I guess you do lose your presets on your radio if you do that though. :(

Quote Originally Posted by lavie2k9 View Post
    I understand that. There's also wires under the dash for airbags also, so it would be smart to unhook the battery if you were doing any work under there also, right?

On top of that, you could short something and have to go dig for a fuse. I am just saying it wouldn't hurt anything to just unhook the battery.

I guess you do lose your presets on your radio if you do that though. :(
    I wasnt trying to disagree about unhooking the battery. What I was trying to say is not everyone who removed their seats will throw the SRS light. Hell, when I did my tranny swap, I unplugged the wires from the SRS control module under the dash, put it all back together, and the SRS light still didnt come on. I always cut the power before doing any work, its easy. its like working under a car thats jacked up but not on jackstands, its soo easy, why wouldnt you do it?
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

After my accident, I had the shop fix my car without replacing the air bags. I replaced them myself really cheap from a wrecked Galant. Anyway, once I installed the new SRS ECU, clock spring and the 2 air bags, the SRS light went out on it's own. Unless the bulb blew out? lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast