The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question about burning oil

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Question about burning oil

I have just got done replacing all my belts including timing and balance shaft belts and installed new cam crank balance shaft and oil pump seals along with new valve seals (not hard to do actually.) I had a probelm with leaking and burning about 4 quarts of oil every 1k miles and smoking like crazy when idling(usually after 15 mins) or on cold mornings (I KNOW it was oil). I did all this work and drove it today then let it sit for an 45 mins idling...........no smoke no oil leaks!!! :) So okay i parked it. Then as I left work i got on it at WOT and it smoked. When i got off of it the smoke stopped. The question im trying to ask: is this okay and/or nomal? I think i read how our cars at WOT smoke anyway. (btw im sitting at 169k miles.........runs so quiet it sounds like a new carr)

If it doesn't burn smoke on start up after sitting, it is probably not the valve stem seals. My best guess would be worn rings, or a stuck pcv valve. Most likely rings and you are getting alot of blow by. Check compression with the motor at operating temp, then at a cap full of oil to each cylinder and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then recheck. If compression goes up significantly on any cylinder, you have worn rings, and they would need to be replaced.

If replacing the rings, you MUST have the cylinders checked to see if they are out of round. If not, a quick deglaze and hone should do the trick, and you can simply install new rings. If they are out of round, you would need to have the cylinders bored and honed and get oversized pistons and rings.

If you simply throw new rings at worn cylinders, it is a band aid. It may not smoke at first, but I can assure you they will fail in shot time.....i know from experience.

Experienced TGC Member
    Wellllll.... From experiece... Ive busted 3 head gaskets in my 7g and it was the same as what youve described. So id check into that. And if you change it make sure you change your head studs as well. And use copperseal.. that shit works wonders

Sorry about the long wait.........but I FINALLY fixed it. I got on it one day cause people DONT know how to get onto an interstate system here so they decided to stop at the entrance.long story. ANYWAY........when i got on it...........i looked back and there was black smoke everywhere!!! At this time I KNEW i was running rich. I had replaced my 02 sensors back a few years ago with some cheap ass ones. After about 300 miles my check engine light finally came one and you could smell a strong gas smell and see a little bit of soot on the muffer. So i grounded the pin in the OBD connector and got code 11...........front Ho2 sensor went out. So I went ahead and got BOTH new ones for about 50 dollars each from mitsu and installed them. Problem fixed. (I have,for about a while now, only gotten mitsu parts for my car...........no more aftermarket places.........just dont trust their quailty ive been burned too many times and i get my little discount on oem parts anyway)

If its a Denso its basically and OEM! The wiring on it cause for 50 bucks it dosnt have the plug on it, is pretty easy. Just dont cross the two black wires.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.