The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: XENON HID CONVERSION

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 22 of 22
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stm)</div><div class='quotemain'>on my HID i have low beam only</div>

y dont u just get H4 it only coast like 2 to 25 bucks,,,

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

just to clear up some confusion...

that cover on the mccolloch bulbs (H4) is not for hi/low switching, it's just a cover, and no don't remove it. the H4 is a shelded beam, it needs that front sheild to keep a tight beam pattern in the OE housing.

since the H4 bulb (that's the bulb size) is a dual filament bulb, early HID kits that fit that size were low beam only since there are no dual chamber HID bulbs. so to retain the high beam on conversion, manufacturers came up w/ 3 ways of "adding" the high beam back in. one was a halogen "piggy back" hyper bulb; another was a movable sheild / reflector that changed the beam pattern on high beam activation; and the third was by actually moving the D2(S/R) bulb itself in the housing on high beam activation.

as for just replacing the bulbs, HID bulbs do not have filaments like incandescent bulbs. HID bulbs are basically a gas capsule and the light source is an electrical arc (continuous spark) in a gaseous environment. now to start a spark like that you need a HUGE burst of energy (ignitors) and to keep it from blowing up the bulbs and housings you need to control it (ballasts). so that's why you need a kit and not just the bulbs. if you try to hook up HID bulbs to the normal headlight harness and hit the switch, nothing will happen (no light no nothing).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12