The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: crank sensor in the distributor

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

crank sensor in the distributor

Ok guys, I know a few of you do the ecu swaps, so i need some info. 94-95 distributors have both cam and crank sensors, and 96-98 have only cam sensor in the distibutor - the crank sensor is next to the crank pulley.

So my question is: Which pin on 94-95 distributor is the crank sensor signal? Any pinout diagram of that year distributor?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by mko; 09-27-2008 at 08:43 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Crap I'll have to go outside and check when it's light out. It's either a brown/red or brown /green . (I know lol didn't help much)
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bmore303 View Post
    Crap I'll have to go outside and check when it's light out. It's either a brown/red or brown /green . (I know lol didn't help much)
    Please do, I need this asap! do you know if the other pins are the same for the two distributors, and to be more specific - cam sensor pin?

Ok heres the idea!

There were a few thread about difference in distributors, and if my memory serves me well, some1 said that 94-95 and 96-98 distributors are not compatible. Well maybe they are!!??

This is what 2G guys do when they have bad crank position sensor - they swap with 1g cam position sensor that has both cam and crank sensors, and rewire it this way. Im pretty sure 94-95 distributor if functioning the same way

Ok, 96-98 Galants use the same crank sensor as 2g, and it has very simple wiring diagram - power, ground and signal pins. There will be no problem taping into the distributor harness to get the power and ground, but I need need the pin of the crank signal on the distibutor.

All this is about converting to OBD2 emission free harness that I have already, but I didnt wanna play with installin crankshaft plate /allocator/ and additional crank sensor
    Last edited by mko; 09-28-2008 at 10:18 AM

Build Thread

94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

^^^Great info man! Thank you!

I just need the pin color or number on top of the distributor

Build Thread

All the below information is specific to a 95 SOHC Galant. The information was gathered from Mitchell Repair.

The crankshaft position sensor wire is Brown/Green and the camshaft position wire is Brown/Red.

The Brown/Red wire to the camshaft position sensor runs to pin 68 at the ecu which is labeled as the camshaft position sensor.

The Brown/Green to the crankshaft position sensor runs to pin 69 at the ecu which is labeled as the coolant temperature sensor, but I believe this to be Mitchell's error and that it is the crankshaft position sensor.

There should be a 6 pin connector on the distributor.
    Pin 1 = Black wire; ground; splices with several other wires that go to pin 26 at the ecu.
    Pin 2 = Black/White wire; power; splices with several other wires that go to fuel injectors, solenoids, o2 sensors, etc.
    Pin 3 = Brown/Green wire; crankshaft position sensor to pin 69 at the ecu.
    Pin 4 = Brown/Red wire; camshaft position sensor to pin 68 at the ecu.
    Pin 5 = Black wire; ground; splices with several other wires that go to pin 26 at the ecu.
    Pin 6 = White wire; ignition; power transitor wire to pin 10 at the ecu.

There is a 2 pin connector on the distributor as well. The Black/White wire goes to the MPI relay pin 7 and 8. The Black/Yellow wire goes to the tachometer and a capacitor.

Unfortunately the diagrams below are difficult to read because of the picture size limits, but I can email a larger copy of it if you want me to. Let me know.

I hope this information helps you out. Good luck; let us know how you make out.

Thanks,

Mike

Cropped images of Distributor Wiring Diagrams:

This is the complete 95 Engine Performance Wiring Diagram:

This is the complete 95 ECU pinout:

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    ^^^Great info man! Thank you!

I just need the pin color or number on top of the distributor
    i would jsut identify the pin on the ecu. then note the wire color combination, then find that color wire on your distributor harness. done.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Thx for getting to that b4 me, was out all night and just came in from work.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciated!

Now I can get the OBD2 conversion done really quick

Build Thread

if this is the pinout of 94-95 Galant distributor

Pin 1 = Black wire; ground; splices with several other wires that go to pin 26 at the ecu.
    Pin 2 = Black/White wire; power; splices with several other wires that go to fuel injectors, solenoids, o2 sensors, etc.
    Pin 3 = Brown/Green wire; crankshaft position sensor to pin 69 at the ecu.
    Pin 4 = Brown/Red wire; camshaft position sensor to pin 68 at the ecu.
    Pin 5 = Black wire; ground; splices with several other wires that go to pin 26 at the ecu.
    Pin 6 = White wire; ignition; power transitor wire to pin 10 at the ecu.

What is the pinout of the 96-98 galant Distributor without crank sensor. thanks

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    So help me clarify which ecu you're goping with. i'm assuming 2g turbo ecu. and you have aobd2 wire harness, and you're putting it in your obd1 94 G.
    Why don't you just get the distributor that matches the wire harness you have?

but for the information you are requesting, this is the information i have.

You're Crankshaft position sensor is pin 2 - red/yel and runs to pin 69 on 7g OBD2 ecu / 89 on 2g ecu (which are actually in the same location they just numbered it different)
    you're Camshaft position sensor is pin 3 - brn/grn and runs to pin 68 on 7g OBD2 ecu / 88 on 26 ecu (same as a bove)

So with the instruction above you would need to connect the brwn/red from the connector on the 94 distributor to to the red/yel that runs to the ecu.

or, for a slightly cleaner / factory look.

Use the original distributor harness and re pin using your existing wires.
    you could terminate the +/- for the crank sensor

BUT
    if you are trying to apply the diagram the eclipse guys use to put a 1g crank sensor in their 2g there are a lot of other variables that might come into play.

For example;
    The 1g CAS sends a signal to the ecu that is 180o out of phase with the 2g signal so you have to compensate
    They do so by change ing the pin locations of the injector triggers... 1 is 14 / 2 is 1 / 15 is 2 and 14 is 15
    They also change the plugs around 1 and 4 with 2 and 3 (order is not important)

I got this info from Magnus Motorsport 1g in a 2g. you might look it up.

I'm only telling you this part for just in case you get the wiring done and it doesn't start

yes, i understand that. I gave the picture as a example for the 94 distributor having both cam and crank sensors just like 1G CPS.

What Im trying to do is to rewire the 98 obd2 harness to work with 94 distributor

Build Thread