The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steering Shakes when Turning Right in Rain

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Steering Shakes when Turning Right in Rain

Hi all,

I've recently noticed that when it's raining my steering wheel will shake and shimmy when I'm trying to turn the car to the right. Also, when I'm making the turn it's not as responsive as it should be. This doesn't seem to happen when it's dry and it doesn't seem to do it when I'm turning left in the rain either.

I've done some searching on here and from what I've read I'm kind of thinking it could be the power steering belt or the fluid but I haven't seen the exact symptoms and scenario that I''m going through so I figured I'd post to see if anyone else had any feedback for me.

2000 LS V6

any info would be helpful.

Thank!

how are your tires? it seems like they are bald

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Belt and fluid have nothing to do with what you are experiencing. I bet it's your rack and pinion or tie rod end.

Quote Originally Posted by dwjp90 View Post
    how are your tires? it seems like they are bald
    My tires are in good condition, so that's definitely not it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Belt and fluid have nothing to do with what you are experiencing. I bet it's your rack and pinion or tie rod end.
    Ok, but can you explain why this only occurs when it's raining? It does not do it at all when it is dry outside.

Experienced TGC Member
    Well our cars have this thing called front wheel drive, and front wheel drive cars have really bad understeer when the front wheels break loose especially when the ground is wet. So what I think you are experiencing is your front tires sliding than gripping, sliding then gripping. Try taking turns slower when the ground is wet and see if it stops doing it. :D I think thats what it is but I could be wrong.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    Well our cars have this thing called front wheel drive, and front wheel drive cars have really bad understeer when the front wheels break loose especially when the ground is wet. So what I think you are experiencing is your front tires sliding than gripping, sliding then gripping. Try taking turns slower when the ground is wet and see if it stops doing it. :D I think thats what it is but I could be wrong.
    I wish it were going to be that simple. When I've noticed it most is when I'm sitting in a stopped position, like a stop sign, and then I go to make a right hand turn; that's when it's the worst. And, now that I think about it it even does it when I'm sitting still and just turn the steering wheel to the right. I'll have to double check that, but I'm pretty it's also happening then.

thanks though!