The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: No Power at all, Battery Good

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    TGC Regular

No Power at all, Battery Good

I know my car is not a 7G, but I have a 4G64 in my mirage. Heres the problem, got everything on the car together at first I had a 2.0 starter in there and when I went to start the car the starter would turn. But I found out later the 2.0 starter sat to high to turn the flywheel. I was then told a 1.8 starter is the right one to use, so I got 1.8 started, tested it autozone tested good. Installed it on the car, now when I go to start the I get nothing. There is no power at all, no dash light, no radio, no nothing. I got the battery charged before installing in the car and I swap out the battery in the Galant and got the same thing. Checked my grounds and everything.

Can someone help me out?

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    might wanna check ur fuse thats lil odd
    03 I4

TGC Regular
    Check those too, after looking through everything I'm thinking it might be the starter.
    Last edited by remarque; 12-02-2008 at 04:31 PM

if you have a 4g64 why did.nt you get 7g galant ot 2g GST starter for manual tranny
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    I'm using a 1.8 tranny with a 1g 7 bolt flywheel.

7bolt FWD or AWD? If its AWD the FWD starter will never get a grasp on it.
    Id say that it doesnt mater what tranny youre using, its mounted to 4g64 and for tha reason Id get 7g Galant starter for manual tranny.

oh I hope youre using manual tranny starter cuz the auto wont work.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    The flywheel is FWD and I'm using a 1.8 MT starter. When using the 1.8 Mirage tranny on the 4G64 you need a 7 bolt flywheel, the Galants flywheel is to big to fit the 1.8 tranny so you have to use a 1G 4G63 FWD non-turbo flywheel from the year 92.5 to 94.

After messing around and cleaning the terminals I got power, but as soon as I turn the key the car dies.

Are u sure the battery is good? Try starting another car with it

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    Battery is good, bought it last week.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Was the battery still connected when you installed the 1.8 starter? If you..you may of grounded one of the starter harness cables and blew out a main fuse.

Check your underhood fuse box and check the main fuses and see if any of them blew? They are usually the bigger fuses and either bolted or screwed down to the junction box. If you blew any of them...this will result in no power at all.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

TGC Regular
    The car is getting power now, when I turn the key the car just dies. No crank, lights or anything. I checked the fuses and there good, I also removed the battery when I installed the starter.

Before installing the 1.8 starter I got power, light, radio, auto seat belts everything worked, just had wrong starter.

Going to wake up early to back track.

Sounds to me like you have a short. Maybe a bad starter solenoid? Make sure you hooked up the starter wires right and didn't leave any positive wires exposed.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you disconnect the power to the starter and you still dont have interior power, the problem is not the starter. Sounds like a fuse. There is a fuse for the alternator, when it blows, you have no power to the rest of the car. Its not a normal size flat fuse, its one of the bigger ones.
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    Figured out the problem, I rechecked my grounds and found that my neg battery connector was rusted pretty bad under the insulation. Replaced it now I have power.

Tried to start the car again, it tries to crank and I hear a pop from the exhaust. Going check spark and fuel to see if thats the problem.

yeah i was about to post that yoru terminals are bad.
    then i read your last post.

as for the pop, is your firing order proper?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    Thanks guys, my monster is ALIVE well more like a zombie. I still need to finish up some wiring for the ECU, finish the exhaust and correct the rear tranny mount.

I went and checked everything that could have went wrong. I check full injectors, FPR, spark plug wires, adjusted spark plug gap, switched ECU's and adjusted throttle cable. Been working on it since 9AM this morning, good thing it warmed up this afternoon.

I'll be posting videos and pictures in my build thread. My first engine swap, but not the last.

DOHCstunr: Yeah the firing order is right, I hear a pop because I dont have a complete exhaust system it stops at the downpipe.
    Last edited by remarque; 12-03-2008 at 03:12 PM