The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Speedometer/Odometer Not Working After Radio Install

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37
    willv28

Speedometer/Odometer Not Working After Radio Install

Hey everyone

I hooked up a new radio and I think it's fine. But the problem comes from after. At first the speedometer and odometer wouldn't work when the radio was on. Now it won't work at all.

What might be the cause of this? I check all the fuses, replaced a bad one and it's still happening. But I did get the illumination lights back.

Thanks

willv28
    Anyone? The only thing I can see is the speed sensor. but I want to eliminate all possibilities before I do that.

unplug your radio and put your stock one back in, some radios on the galants have the speedo wiring through them (if i remember correctly)

willv28
    Ok, tried that, no change. But, I thought that would be the case since when I first installed the radio, the speedometer and odometer would work so long as the radio was off.

so let me get this straight. the tachometer works?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

willv28
    Yes, the tach works fine. Everything else works perfectly fine except for the speedometer/odometer. The odometer displays the mileage, but doesn't register new miles. They did work briefly after I installed the radio, so long as the radio was off. I made sure the wiring was correct on the radio, there was an issue with one of the wire caps breaking off and touching some metal. I corrected that, but it didn't help.

lose the wire caps. you're wiring your car. not your house.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

willv28
    They weren't those kind. They were crimp on audio connectors meant for things like this. I just didn't put it on well, I was doing the whole thing with a flashlight.

I can't think of anything else but the vehicle speed sensor. I just want to know what else to look at before I spend the money on the part.

check your fuses.

willv28
    I checked them once. There was a blown fuse for the taillight replaced it already. I will check again in the morning.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Sounds like the speed sensor then..

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    check both fuse boxes.. crimps arent supposed to be used in cars period.. and theres no speed sensor wire in the radio harness

willv28
    Ok, I'll check them both again. The prior owner of the car put in a stereo and had taken off the connector off the harness and wired it up. I had to obviously do the same. Everyone I knew told me that the way I did it and what I used were the best options short of soldering the connections together, which I wanted to do. I just don't have the means to do it at my apartment.

The issue comes form me being a bonehead and forgetting to detach the battery before I did the install.

I'm also going to check the speed sensor. Someone one another forum had the information about what parameters I'm looking for to check it.

willv28
    I checked all the fuses again, nothing there. I'm trying to test the vehicle speed sensor. But I can't seem to find it. In the location where a guy I'm talking to says it is, there's nothing but a flat plate bolted in it's place and it's definitely where he's talking about. The only other thing I found he says isn't it, but it does match the Haynes manual, but we all know how useless those are.

Ugh, anyone else able to help me figure that out?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    If there is nothing but a flat plate, then you must have an 02-03 galant. 02-03's have internal speed sensors that are inside the tranny, if you friend that one, you gotta pull the tranny out and apart to replace it. I dont think the speed sensor is the problem, I think you fucking around with live wires is your problem, maybe you just fried the circuitry inside the gauge cluster and killed the speedo.

Have you ever removed your cluster before? There are two wire harness' that connect to it, one on either side. You need to find out which wires have the speedo signal and use a multimeter to test them out, thats the best way for you to check the sensors operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

willv28
    Ok, I'll look into that too. But would that affect the odometer too? Because the odometer displays what the mileage was fine but doesn't register new miles. I'm pretty sure they're from the same problem. But if they're on the same circuit why would the the odometer display anything at all? I might just wait until I get my good manual before I do anything else.

If I don't figure it out soon, I'm just going to take it in for a repair I don't have the money for. If it wasn't for the odometer I wouldn't give two poops about it.

I know I was dumb when I forgot to disconnect the battery. I do things like that occasionally because of anxiety and rush. But I think it would have happened when I reattached it anyway.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willv28 View Post
    Ok, I'll look into that too. But would that affect the odometer too? Because the odometer displays what the mileage was fine but doesn't register new miles. I'm pretty sure they're from the same problem. But if they're on the same circuit why would the the odometer display anything at all? I might just wait until I get my good manual before I do anything else.

If I don't figure it out soon, I'm just going to take it in for a repair I don't have the money for. If it wasn't for the odometer I wouldn't give two poops about it.

I know I was dumb when I forgot to disconnect the battery. I do things like that occasionally because of anxiety and rush. But I think it would have happened when I reattached it anyway.
    The odometer cant change because the computer thinks the car hasnt driven because of no feedback from the speed sensor. The odometer uses the data from the speed sensor to establish driving distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

willv28
    Right, I get what you're saying. It's certainly possible that it is the circuitry to the speedometer. I just don't know why the odometer's digital display would be on at all if it was the circuitry. As well, not receive information if it wasn't the speed sensor that was the problem. All the other gages work. Most people have said it's classic speed sensor malfunction.

I'm pretty certain I'll be taking it in to the garage on monday or so. I can't drive it much on this busted odometer and I only have so much ability and means to fix it.
    Last edited by willv28; 12-12-2008 at 05:29 PM

I drove for over a month with no gauges working at all, it was fine except for having no fuel gauge, if you need a new circuit board I happen to have one spare.

willv28
    Well, Mr. JoeRad. Looks like you were right. Looks like the circuitry is messed up to the speedometer/odometer. I removed the cluster, took voltage readings. 5.5 volts was the reading....Then I turned the radio on. It jumped to 24.89 volts. Obviously the circuit board speedometer/odometer were fried.

Let me know what you can do about the part. But it's only $32 online, so that's not a big deal. I'll make sure the radio wiring repaired first though. But it seems wired correctly according the diagrams I have, oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast