The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Speedometer/Odometer Not Working After Radio Install

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    nice, at least you figured it out, nothing worse than fixing shit that aint broken to do process of elimination diagnostic.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Mine fried when I put LEDs in the gauges, got anew one and put the same LEDs in and it's fine, poorly made imo, any how what yearcis it I got a us 8G board

willv28
    Don't worry about it. I put a brand new one on order for $30. I imagine the cost to get yours here plus something for you would be at least that.

PS - I found the problem with the wiring. There was a mistake in the diagram I used. So I thought it was done correctly. The actual result is that the radio's antenna power was pumping power into the speedometer circuit between it and it PCM. So, it had the system that took the vehicle speed and increased/decreased volume based on it. I don't think I did, but I hope it didn't damage the PCM. The power to the radio is cut now. I will rewire the radio tomorrow. I got my real manual and the correct diagram now. This time I went out and bought a cordless soldering iron and heat shrink tubing and will do it that way. I couldn't do it with my existing iron before.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    yeah a butane soldering iron is the way to go, they are great.

if the car runs and drives and no cel's you probably didnt cause damage to the pcm. the pcm has its own fuse to protect it in case something like this happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Can i get a copy of that Diagram, my Clock keeps coming on showing strange time like 4:86 and also the circuit for the crusie control light burnt out again. the dude befor me re wired the radio and i think he fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRad View Post
    Can i get a copy of that Diagram, my Clock keeps coming on showing strange time like 4:86 and also the circuit for the crusie control light burnt out again. the dude befor me re wired the radio and i think he fucked up
    That seems to be a mitsi clock problem. Just take off the cover and take out the clock and resolder all the joints. Mine works fine now.

willv28
    This is most likely the radio itself. Here are the diagrams so you can check the wiring anyway.

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    ^ im impressed with this new member

willv28
    Ok, well the wiring for the radio is good now. Voltage to the speedometer is ok. Now gotta wait for the circuit board....

This also brought up an issue that I had from when I first bought the car. If you click on the dome light, the fuse for it blows after 10 seconds, sooner if you move the switch. Otherwise the door and on settings work fine. I never investigated this since the light is green and essentially useless anyway.

Zigen, no, I'm just a random schmuck who messes up all the time, lol.

willv28
    Ok, FINALLY got the circuit board today, replaced it. Status is the same. Checked the voltages again, varied from 5-7 volts when the car was off and when it was in on position.

Everything seems to be good not electrical wise. Either I need to find which item is actually the speed sensor or I need to replace the whole instrument panel...

willv28
    Well I gave up trying to figure it out. I'm taking it to my local garage next week. I can't seem to find what is wrong with it. Everything is getting the proper voltage. The only thing odd is the resistance on the grounds is too high, but I can't find any wiring issues anywhere. Oh well... Hopefully they can figure it out.

any luck with this problem? I installed a system in my car about 2 weeks ago and now I am having a similar problem. My speedo is working when it wants to then it goes flatline on me. I checked my wiring and it was done right. Secondly, speed sensors are a dealer only part? WTF!! Rip offs!

Barti.istvan
    Hi guys!I have the same problem.Try to unplug you're radio unit and go for a ride with you're car and if the speedo works it's from you're radio.

Are there any updates to this problem? I just bought a car with this same problem lol

Quote Originally Posted by manoso View Post
    Are there any updates to this problem? I just bought a car with this same problem lol
    I just got a new radio installed on my '99 galant and the speedometer stopped working and radio went silent. Any ideas whats wrong? I didnt do it myself, I had it done at a car stereo shop.
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

I have exactly the same issue with my 8th gen, 2001 Galant. Can anyone help me with a schematic that shows the complete wiring circuit from the trans to the speedo, ECU cruise etc?
    Thanks all in advance.
    Last edited by redwing52; 05-21-2015 at 08:54 PM

Easy fix

Okay so I just had this happen to me and felt so doing and not sure why it how this works but it did. If you are using the wiring harness for an aftermarket stereo do not him up your dimmer wire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12