The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cant get shift knob off, urgent

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

cant get shift knob off, urgent

i have searched before asking, every thread expects the reader to already know thow to be able to remove the the gear knob. and danger dans tutorial is down.

i need to get off the shift knob so i can take off my shifter assembly cover and fix my sliding coverthing. F$%#$^T now my knob feels lose like ive broken it.

theres 2 holes at the front of the knob but no screws in them, i looked in with a mirror. nothing to stick an allen key in or nothing that i saw anyways.
    tried yanking it off with the button pushed down (i rang a mitsu dealer and he told me to try it)

please help.

this relate to this thread.
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=33332
    Last edited by starh4x; 12-02-2008 at 03:14 PM Reason: updated.

Can you take some pictures of the spot, you see the problem is that our galant's are totally different from yours, especially on the inside.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

ok fuck. ill try, theres like no space to get in there. brb

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    Can you take some pictures of the spot, you see the problem is that our galant's are totally different from yours, especially on the inside.

here sum pics with a mirror showing whats in there. so i guess the american range was styled completely different? please help man.

It looks like it should just slide right off now that you've got the screws out, try twisting it as you slide as well.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

there was no screws in there tho man, no threading for screwsm no nothing. but ill give it ago. it doesnt feel like it wants to twist off but here goes

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    there should be screws there? maybee someone glued it on or something? i take it your not the first owner? anyways as long as there are no screws there jusy give it a yank should come off

yeah not first owner, ok ill try to yank it again. i might just have to go for a 20 min drive to a mitsu dealer

thanks for trying guys, im going into mitsu dealer now.

i went to mitsu and the guy pried off the button with a screwdriver, and inside of the shifter there was a nut that had to be undone. it was lose from me twisting it that is why it felt broken to me. after that it was simple. he said that i should of had screws like all u guys did too but i didnt. wekk not sice ive owned it anyways.

i still cant get my shifter assembly cover off. ive removed 4 screws. and searchd alot for howtos. can someone help me out please?

damm why do you get all the nice interior with your G? 8p

try twisting and pulling up, look around for any points where it looks like you can pop a piece of plastic off for any screws.

Quote Originally Posted by dwjp90 View Post
    damm why do you get all the nice interior with your G? 8p

try twisting and pulling up, look around for any points where it looks like you can pop a piece of plastic off for any screws.
    lol cuz its a jap import and they like to keep the good stuff for themselves.
    wait a second dont tell me your G dont have a touch screen, GPS, and ten cd stacker?

ok, no luck yet but ill try again in a sec
    Last edited by starh4x; 12-02-2008 at 05:43 PM

try very lightly with a hammer tap on the .. "lip" of the shift lever and see if that makes it twist

Quote Originally Posted by dwjp90 View Post
    try very lightly with a hammer tap on the .. "lip" of the shift lever and see if that makes it twist
    ok ill give it ago.

I do not know where i am supposed to tap with hammer dwjp90. i have posted a photo of my shifter assembly cover that i need to remove and the screws i have already removed. PLease can someone downoad it, draw on it wit MSpaint and show me what to do? whhat to pry off , or tap, or a hidden screw. please hhelp

Last edited by starh4x; 12-02-2008 at 06:50 PM Reason: mistake

ok this is just incase anyone else runs into the same problem with a right hand drive galant.

in order to take off the gear knob i had to pry off the top button with a screw driver, remove the spring and cap, and below that is a nut i undid. there was no screws on the front liek the left hand drive galants but there was indents where scrws could have gone. no threading though.