The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Plastic Dash Question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 40 of 40
    Very nice, thanks for the pics guys, just bought one now
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

you must have to trim it down your self a little bit or somthing

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    i had to trim by the airbag cause of a crack i had there you can tell were cause its not even with the airbag

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    I didnt need to trim mine, everything lined up for the most part...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

I have three major cracks and a large hole in my dash that have all developed over the last several months. I guess that I should piece the dash together the best that I can and then put the overlay on for appearance purposes and paint.

I had pieces just about falling off the dash, but if you're willing to do the work, you can remove it completely (the vents should hold it together while you take it out), and use plastic weld epoxy to put it all back together. You might also be able to use the dash mat as a form to glue everything to if it's real bad. While the dash is out, you can paint it, too.
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

i wish they had one with a hole cut for the center channel speaker

on mine theres an imprint of the center speaker so im assuming you cut it

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zknight01GTZ View Post
    i wish they had one with a hole cut for the center channel speaker
    If you specify it they will cut it for you I believe. Just ask...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Sweet, my dash is cracked in two spots, ill be ordering one of these very soon! thanks guys

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Well I've been digging threw the forum n found thread. Well upon getting in my car today I just so happened to notice a crack in my dash coming from the defrost vent down. I read in eastwood magazine that theres dash repair kits. Would any of you recommend this or do the dash overlay. N do they still have it? N are there any other colors then black?

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Anyone???

FreakyDeaky

Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2kG View Post
    Well I've been digging threw the forum n found thread. Well upon getting in my car today I just so happened to notice a crack in my dash coming from the defrost vent down. I read in eastwood magazine that theres dash repair kits. Would any of you recommend this or do the dash overlay. N do they still have it? N are there any other colors then black?
    dash overlay...once this dash cracks it only gets worse even with this cover although it covers it...Coverlay is the brand and they have a bunch of colors

just get the dash overlay. it comes in different colors or you can just paint it to the color you desire.

I'm looking on ebay not sure which is which can you put a link?

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

here is a pic of mine. it is directly from COVERLAY (http://www.coverlaymfg.com/store.php...-galant-24-903). additionally i painted the forward vents and the airbag cover with black vinyl dye to match.

Thanks Reelax now I have to save up some bucks to get it. After I BUY G Spots old lip. My buddy is gonna cover it up with fiberglass temporarily to keep it from cracking more. What about a dash restoration kit?

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    it's cheaper to just remove the dash completely and replace it with another dash.
    I spent $150 on my plastic dash cover and $5 on paint and it looks GREAT!! A new dash costs over $700!!

Just be sure to put the adhesive on any loose areas of the old dash so it will not vibrate underneath. Also weight it down while the adhesive sets. I cast bullets for reloading and have a lot of 1 and 2 lb lead ingots which spread around the dash and worked great. Just make sure to use SEMI-GLOSS paint. I wasn't thinking and used gloss and it glares on the windshield, I will repaint it with clear semi-gloss. It was pretty easy to paint it in place.

Last edited by shadow83; 09-11-2010 at 03:53 PM
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

Quote Originally Posted by shadow83 View Post
    I spent $150 on my plastic dash cover and $5 on paint and it looks GREAT!! A new dash costs over $700!!

Just be sure to put the adhesive on any loose areas of the old dash so it will not vibrate underneath. Also weight it down while the adhesive sets. I cast bullets for reloading and have a lot of 1 and 2 lb lead ingots which spread around the dash and worked great. Just make sure to use SEMI-GLOSS paint. I wasn't thinking and used gloss and it glares on the windshield, I will repaint it with clear semi-gloss. It was pretty easy to paint it in place.

looks good. i used like 10 phone books to weigh it down overnight while the adhesive was setting/drying. i also wedged folded corrugated cardboard between the windshield and the dash to give is space and to firmly hold the leading edge against the dash underneath until it dried.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12