The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 02 gtz starter location and how to change it

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

02 gtz starter location and how to change it

my car wont start. im pretty sure its the starter. i tryed taping on it while someone else tryed to turn it over but that didnt work. i had to leave it at the gas station. does any one have a turtorial with on how to change a starter on my 02 v6 gtz? i know its gotta be pretty easy. but i need some help.

Always looking to make my life better, and then my car!

found this online, maybe somebody with a v6 can confirm this below.

I just replaced the starter on a 1999 Galant 3.0 V6 (1999-2003): The starter motor is located on the front of the engine behind the exhaust pipe and next to the oil filter.
    First disconnect the battery. Next remove the flat, angular heat shield from the starter itself (1x 8mm nut and 2x 8mm bolts). Do NOT try to remove the heat shield from the Exhaust pipe - it can't be removed with the starter in place and it's not necessary anyway. Next remove the oil filter. You'll loose a few ounces of oil so be prepared for that with a drain pan and either cover the removed filter to keep debris out or replace it and remember to check the oil level later. Remove the small signal wire from the solenoid (released by pushing in a tiny lever with a finger tip) and also remove the 12mm nut attaching the positive battery cable to the starter.
    The starter is held in place by two 14mm bolts. On the engine (passenger) side, there is a 14x30mm bolt threading into the transaxle from the bottom of the starter. On the transaxle (driver) side, there is a longer 14x50mm bolt threading into the top of the starter.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    found this online, maybe somebody with a v6 can confirm this below.

I just replaced the starter on a 1999 Galant 3.0 V6 (1999-2003): The starter motor is located on the front of the engine behind the exhaust pipe and next to the oil filter.
    First disconnect the battery. Next remove the flat, angular heat shield from the starter itself (1x 8mm nut and 2x 8mm bolts). Do NOT try to remove the heat shield from the Exhaust pipe - it can't be removed with the starter in place and it's not necessary anyway. Next remove the oil filter. You'll loose a few ounces of oil so be prepared for that with a drain pan and either cover the removed filter to keep debris out or replace it and remember to check the oil level later. Remove the small signal wire from the solenoid (released by pushing in a tiny lever with a finger tip) and also remove the 12mm nut attaching the positive battery cable to the starter.
    The starter is held in place by two 14mm bolts. On the engine (passenger) side, there is a 14x30mm bolt threading into the transaxle from the bottom of the starter. On the transaxle (driver) side, there is a longer 14x50mm bolt threading into the top of the starter.
    True

If you are under the car the starter is located directly behind the headers. Follow the front headers down and right where it bends under the car, the starter is located directy behind it. You will need to remove the two bolts holding the starter in place. Those two bolts are located on the transmission. Look from the driver side to passenger side and you will see these two bolts. If i remeber correctly thats the only way to access them.

You don't need to remove the heat shield on the starter, or even the oil filter for that matter, but it does give a bit more room to work.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    You don't need to remove the heat shield on the starter, or even the oil filter for that matter, but it does give a bit more room to work.
    I dropped my filter. Because at first i was trying to figure out how the hell to remove the damn bolts on the starter lol.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    When you do it take some pics so that you could write up a tutorial..

yea i did it in a mcdonalds parking lot, it is way harder if you leave the oil filter on it took me about an hour.