The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cam gear...then kick me

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Experienced TGC Member

Cam gear...then kick me

I was working on the car today. Got a lot of small things accomplished on the project so far, but I went on to the next item of removing my crank pulley. I had some help with this, but I have to take credit for the "darwin award" on this one.

We decided that since the crank pulley bolt was not breaking loose with the impact then we had to do it with a breaker bar. Well the problem here was the pulley kept turning. So, we put a pry bar into the spokes of the front cam gear and upon trying to break the crank bolt loose it slipped 2 notches...go figure right. Along with slipping the timing the pry bar also took out a chunk of the cam gear :smt021

So....anybody have an idea where I get the replacement gear now? I looked at partstrain.com, but I would really like to avoid getting bent over at a stealership for the part.

*QUICK EDIT -

Any thoughts on buying these as a replacement?
    https://www.horsepowerparts.com/inde...product_id=583
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Last edited by SPD_FRK; 04-18-2009 at 05:58 PM

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Wow, that was a bad move! Next time(this works for the i4), take off the flywheel inspection plate, take a screwdriver and put it in between the teeth of the flywheel. When you turn the crank, the flywheel will turn and eventually the screwdriver will get stuck at the bottom of the block/oil pan. Ive done this dozens of times on my car with no issues.

Check out Don Herring, they have them for $87/gear.
    http://www.donherring.com/Parts.aspx

If you still have a stock came, having a set of adjustable cam gears will not give you any gains at all.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Jeez.. Very un-lucky.. If you don't wanna spend that much go to your nearest pick and pull junk yard.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    Wow, that was a bad move! Next time(this works for the i4), take off the flywheel inspection plate, take a screwdriver and put it in between the teeth of the flywheel. When you turn the crank, the flywheel will turn and eventually the screwdriver will get stuck at the bottom of the block/oil pan. Ive done this dozens of times on my car with no issues.

Check out Don Herring, they have them for $87/gear.
    http://www.donherring.com/Parts.aspx

If you still have a stock came, having a set of adjustable cam gears will not give you any gains at all.
    Yes, bad move...VERY bad move lol. I will take the flex plate approach next weekend when I get back in for a full day. Thank you for the link to the part. For basically $90 a piece, I think it is safe to say I will go with the adjustable gear as I plan to build more onto the engine here in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Jeez.. Very un-lucky.. If you don't wanna spend that much go to your nearest pick and pull junk yard.
    Well I could go that route, but then the car is just another "box on wheels" if you know what I mean. I bought this thing for $500, and I could have just fixed things with stock "ok" parts, but no (and the significant other hates me for this :smt079) I have decided to build this thing up even better

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Dude, do yourself a huge favor and get a chain wrench, such as pictured below.....

Using a piece of old serpentine belt to protect the pulley you can use the chain wrench to hold it still while you take out the crank pulley bolt. I have found this to be one of the easiest and best ways to avoid breaking anything.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com