The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How Wide can I go with stock wheels ? (Tire Size)

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Icon5 How Wide can I go with stock wheels ? (Tire Size)

Hi guys,

These tires on my car are pretty much done , and couple of the are ruined ( Have a wear only on the outside) because of the alignment problem the car has .
    So I was thinking of have the alignment problem fixed and get a set of new tires before winter time , it gets very messy in Chicago .

It has these15" alloys and the tire size is 205/65/15 .

so I was thinking of going with 215 instead of 205 . but I don't know if it's possible with these wheels Or is it gonna look wired small wheels fat tires ?!!!

and I guess if I could go with 215 I have to change all 4 of them right ?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out here .

I think I go with the Michelin Harmony . I had Michelin on my previous cars they were awesome on snow and they were all season tires not winter tires .

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Yes you can, 215 60 15.

does it have to be 60 ?
    cuz it's 65 now .

Quote Originally Posted by arash007ir View Post
    does it have to be 60 ?
    cuz it's 65 now .
    Yes it matters

cool thanks man

Do you think it's gonna look wierd with 215 ?
    I'm kinda stock between these 2 . 205 or 215 ?

I personally go back to 205, no reason for a 215 unless you had a 16" wheel but that's just me.

I went with 205/60/15 ... to be honest I forgot why but Im sure it was a good reason. My overall reason for my purchase was for a good, all season tire. Im happy with my Potenza's at that size.
    I would choose what is going to give you the best ride/wear/traction for your area and your application, i.e. daily driver. In short don't worry about it unless your buying new wheels and bumping up the diameter.

Sphinx
    2000 ES 4G64 ~ Bridgeston Potenza 205/60/15 ~ K&N Typhoon intake/filter ~ KYB GR2/Excel-G ~ CM Springs ~ V6 TB ~ STB OEM 3G Eclipse ~ Drilled Slotted Rotors ~ PrePaid Legal Sticker ~ Graco Car Seat

Well the whole reason of changing from 205 to 215 was that I thought more surface to touch the ground so better traction in wet conditions .
    yeah I guess I'm better of sticking with 205 . but now yours is 205/60 ?
    Is that what the car came with ?
    what height do you excatly have to go with 205 and 15" wheels .

No I had 195/65/15 (I think...) but I remember asking some friends and local tire shops what my best bets were with 15" and wanting to prevent hydro-planing and some sort of snow traction. What I have on there now is what they all came up with.

"what height do you excatly have to go with 205 and 15" wheels"
    I think your asking whether to go with 60 or 65 series (this number is the percent % of the width of the tire that represents the height of the tire). I went as short as comfortable. I wanted proper performance (in my case 'absorbtion' of force from the tire) to lowered ride height for dry/aggressive handling.

Hope that helps!

S
    2000 ES 4G64 ~ Bridgeston Potenza 205/60/15 ~ K&N Typhoon intake/filter ~ KYB GR2/Excel-G ~ CM Springs ~ V6 TB ~ STB OEM 3G Eclipse ~ Drilled Slotted Rotors ~ PrePaid Legal Sticker ~ Graco Car Seat

Well the whole reason of changing from 205 to 215 was that I thought more surface to touch the ground so better traction in wet conditions .
    yeah I guess I'm better of sticking with 205 . but now yours is 205/60 ?
    Is that what the car came with ?
    what height do you excatly have to go with 205 and 15" wheels .
    You want skinnier tires in the winter for snow traction. You want wider in dry conditions. Wet is a tossup and depends on the vehicle, and what you are trying to accomplish with the car.

Alright , thanks again . appreciate it .
    One other thing , I was putting the information ( like what kind of car you got ) in michelin web site and this is the results it gave me :

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES P195/65R15 89T
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 P205/55R16 89H
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 P205/55R16 89H
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant DE P195/65R15 89T
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant LS P195/65R15 89T
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ P205/55R16 89H

From what I got from this and what you guys been saying I guess my choice should be : 205/60/15 .

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    You want skinnier tires in the winter for snow traction. You want wider in dry conditions. Wet is a tossup and depends on the vehicle, and what you are trying to accomplish with the car.
    Yeah Ive driven past 3 winters on 225s its not that much fun. If I were you OP stick as close to stock as possible right now either 195/65 or 205/65. The 195/65 is the stock height and will be the correct diameter needed. 205/65 is a .51" more in diameter which can affect your speedometer a little. Also seeing as the stock diameter on the v6 cars is smaller than the diameter on the 195/65-16 I think it was possibly a sign to stick closer to 24.98'' diameter or lessish. I am currently running 24.97'' diameter on my 225/45-17
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 07-08-2010 at 11:01 PM

Alright , thanks again . appreciate it .
    One other thing , I was putting the information ( like what kind of car you got ) in michelin web site and this is the results it gave me :

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES P195/65R15 89T
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 P205/55R16 89H
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 P205/55R16 89H
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant DE P195/65R15 89T
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant LS P195/65R15 89T
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ P205/55R16 89H

From what I got from this and what you guys been saying I guess my choice should be : 205/60/15 .
    No, your choice should be 195/65R15. If your purpose is to have a little more fun-to-drive factor in the car, you should first improve the performance rating of the tires you are selecting. Being that you should have H-rated tires now, you should start off by looking for a V-rated tire in the original 195/65R15 tire size.

If you can't find tires to your liking, or really want a wider tire, then well? Here is where you must consider things like load range, tire pressure, tire to fender clearance, tire to suspension clearance. Fortunately, we already have a FAQ thread on this exact subject with all the information you'll ever need.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=18010

Read, learn, enjoy!

Thanks for all your comments guys .

I'll take it to the shop tomorrow to take care of that alignment issue first , I'll post the results .

( Do you need to mount the new tire then take care of the alignment ? , that was what guy was telling me on the phone today . you should bring it in for alignment after you put on the new tires ?!!! ) I thought you gotta have to take care of the issue first !?

If you are definitely doing new tires than putting those on first then doing an alignment is best.

If you aren't doing new tires for a bit than get your alignment done.

Thanks for all your comments guys .

I'll take it to the shop tomorrow to take care of that alignment issue first , I'll post the results .

( Do you need to mount the new tire then take care of the alignment ? , that was what guy was telling me on the phone today . you should bring it in for alignment after you put on the new tires ?!!! ) I thought you gotta have to take care of the issue first !?
    You dont need to mount new tires after an alignment, but you should get an alignment after new tires. Since you are considering tires and alignment around the same time I would leave your alignment as is and have the tire shop do tires and alignment same day. That is how I have done it and havent had any excessive wear issues on any of my cars.

Some tires companies also offer lifetime alignments for the life of the tires for like double the price of one alignment since most people dont take advantage of it, but seeing as I am lowered I have my front aligned everytime I rotate tires which is about every 2 oil changes. That way the tires are wearing evenly front and rear. I have over a year on these tires and they look somewhat new.

So I took the car to the shop yesterday , and the guy took a look at my tires and said all 4 of them are shut . 2 of them have a wear on the outside and the other 2 actually have cracks in them . so I have to get 4 now

About the size I decided to go with original size 195/65/15 . ( thanks for all the info guys )

and alignment is gonna cost $70 . He said we don't know that it needs alignment or not because I did some suspension work couple of months ago that might have fixed it , but when you put on the new tires we check if it need alignment we take care of it .And he's gonna charge $ 25 a tire to mount and balence .

I was gonna go with Michelin Harmony but then I come across some other models of Michelin that kinda caught my eye . because you mention that V-H factor that affects the perfomance of your tires . so apparently Michelin Harmony only comes in T .

So here are some other models of Michelin that are all season - H and have descent Grip in wet conditions :

What do you think ?

Michelin Harmony : $ 89.00

P195/65R15 BSW 89T

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S : $ 91.00

195/65R15 BSW 91H

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 : $ 105.00

195/65R15 BSW 91H

Thanks again guys , this forum have awesome members .