The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ABS sensor glitch?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Icon9 ABS sensor glitch?

My ABS sensor lite in the dash has come on & gone off a few times,in my 99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ V6.I havent noticed anything else gping on as far as usual performance & braking. Is this something I need to attend to immediately? What gives here?
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

I would suggest that it be inspected as soon as possible. If you can or are willing to look at it yourself, then do the following...

Inspect the ABS wires, sensor, wheel bearing (for looseness or wear), and check your ABS relays and/or fuses. It is also possible that the ABS sensor tone ring is damaged or worn, causing the light to come on. If that is the case, the axle would need be replaced or rebuilt (at the least a new tone ring installed). The ABS sensor and wires look like the below picture:

If I'd have to give a educated guess, I'd suspect a broken ABS tone ring to be the problem. Or if not that, then a faulty wheel speed sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    I would suggest that it be inspected as soon as possible. If you can or are willing to look at it yourself, then do the following...

Inspect the ABS wires, sensor, wheel bearing (for looseness or wear), and check your ABS relays and/or fuses. It is also possible that the ABS sensor tone ring is damaged or worn, causing the light to come on. If that is the case, the axle would need be replaced or rebuilt (at the least a new tone ring installed). The ABS sensor and wires look like the below picture:

If I'd have to give a educated guess, I'd suspect a broken ABS tone ring to be the problem. Or if not that, then a faulty wheel speed sensor.
    I was going to try & find some info online to try & see if I can handle this myself,so your diagram will help alot.Someone on another forum suggested that maybe the sonsors just need cleaning. I guess I should start with a code reader 1st...I cant afford to spend much $$ right now.
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

Be extremely careful if you plan on cleaning the wheel sensors. They are ultra sensitive and can be damaged easily.

If you can get the code out, that would be the best option. On my last car, it ended up being the ABS controller that went out and it was a pretty easy and cheap fix when I found one at the pick and pull.

I have the same code too, along with my tcl light, i was thinkin it was a broken speed sensor or something, i know my abs doesnt work right now though

I cant tell.I seem to have a problem I just found out online that alot of 8G owners have....very pronounced shaking from the brakes when applied above 45 mph.I've had my rotors turned,& calipers & pads replaced(as have others I've found).I'm now wondering if its my ABS system thats related to this also

Is it a shaking or is your pedal pulsing?

If your pedal is pulsing, then that is normal ABS operation. it is a sensation that comes during heavy braking or when braking in slippery conditions.

If your braking is smooth normally but starts pulsing after you slam on the brakes, that is ABS.

If it is a shakiness and not the ABS causing it, then I would check that your tires are balanced and give your suspension a shakedown.

Either way, that ABS light still needs to be diagnosed. A dealership can do it for under $100 and they generally apply the diagnostic cost to the labor of the repair itself.

I get pulsation EVERY time I hit the brakes at 'highway' speeds.The harder they are applied the more pulsation.It stops,or gets much less noticeable, just as I start going below 30-20 mph.I've redone my suspension with Eibach springs & KYB shocks...its lowered a bit.Tires & wheels are stock sizes.I have front & rear stabilizers.Only thing not replaced are bushings everywhere.

Here are the only reasons that you can have a shake or perceived vibration under braking:

Excessive rotor runout (warped)
    Improper wheel torque (leading to warped rotors)
    Improper cleaned wheel and rotor hat mounting surfaces.
    Improperly cleaned inner brake rotor hat (poor rotor to hub mounting)
    Out of round brake drums. (rear)
    Out of balance brake drums. (rear)

If your TCL (traction control) light is also on then the ABS/TCL relay may have failed, a wheel speed sensor could be faulty, a wheel bearing may be loose or otherwise worn, or even a ABS tone ring (all mention earlier) could be worn or even broken.

I have Powerstop rotors,that Les Schwab 1st unstalled and have replaced twice & turned several times,new calipers,new pads,all while under warranty.I think the warranty is up.If they overtorqued when putting things back together,it'd blow my mind if theyre still doing it after as many times as I went in.Havent been back in for awhile.I assumed they cleaned everything.

How would I pull ABS system codes? I have a MUT II tool lol
    1999 North Star White V6 8G
    2003 Yamaha R6
    2008 Lancer Evolution X

The Original FACTION from the BGR Days
    First Founder of TGC Florida 2002-2005

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    You could always test the connector with a multimeter thats what I did with mine they kept on self activating n ended up getting a new sensor from the dealer $56 shipped to my house ended up having to take the torches to it to get it out changed it n problem solved...

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed