The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I need some serious help!

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

I need some serious help!

its a long story so i'll just tell ya'll what u need to know. The car ran hot and shut off on its own, now it won't start at all. A buddy told me that maybe the timing belt broke but i have no clues so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by badmitsu; 01-03-2010 at 02:58 PM

well it's easy to see if the timing belt broke on the left side of the engine if your looking at it from the front there is a plastic belt cover, just pry it out abit and see if the belt is there, try turning it JUST A WEEE BIT, if you can turn it at all then your belt is broke, if not then your good, if it overheated and it won't start at all, there's no telling what could have happened start with any codes the ecu is throwing and go from there.

"EDIT" i just noticed you have a v6 so you "kinda" have 2 timing belts so you'll have to check each head individualy, but like i said just try to turn a LITTLE BIT you don't want to fuck up your timing, if it turn's easly then your belt is broke
    Poison457
    99 ES 4G64 I4 189k miles and still going strong
    5spd, rear disk swaped,
    Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Hazir View Post
    I am at a loss to explain the average skeleton's somewhat ludicrous mental predisposition, however. Perhaps the implausibility of its own existence makes the skeleton think it hilarious to hide in a barrel, cackling intermittently for some three hundred years until a victim happens by?

what happens when u try to start the car?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

He does not have 2 timing belts. It's as simple as taking the top 2 timing covers off, which I believe is about 5 or 6 bolts total. Then inspect your belt, as it will be out in the open.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Experienced TGC Member
    If the car got hot and shut itself off...did the temp gauge go up to the "H" like it was overheating?

If it overheated like that, sad to say it but I am going to guess your engine lost all compression from a headgasket going out, or a cracked head if there was no coolant in the radiator when it overheated.

If the engine cranks over but will not start, get a compression test done.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    If the car got hot and shut itself off...did the temp gauge go up to the "H" like it was overheating?

If it overheated like that, sad to say it but I am going to guess your engine lost all compression from a headgasket going out, or a cracked head if there was no coolant in the radiator when it overheated.

If the engine cranks over but will not start, get a compression test done.

i believe your right my wife was driving her and she said it got to the H, so its prolly shot! That means its time for a better faster maybe already turbo'd motor!

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    what happens when u try to start the car?
    when u try and start it, it just wines like it wants to start but not going to.

Experienced TGC Member
    Yea, you may want to check it out and see if its just a head gasket that needs to be replaced then. If the gaskets are in good shape then a head may have cracked. If you are looking to build for a turbo on the V6 platform prepare to spend an easy $2K+, and also don't expect the auto transmission to hold up to a boosted V6 for very long either.

For the price of a used 6g74 (3.5L) you could get by with one of those.

www.blackheartmotors.net

i just gotta figure out what turbo'd motors will fit my tranny, but i plan on getting the 5 speed eclipse tranny

i was told that the 3000gt turbo'd motors would fit our cars, is that just shit or is it true!
    Last edited by badmitsu; 01-03-2010 at 06:37 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badmitsu View Post
    i just gotta figure out what turbo'd motors will fit my tranny, but i plan on getting the 5 speed eclipse tranny
    The only turbo'd motors that fit are the ones you build.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by badmitsu View Post
    None in stock form. Any turbo setup on the V6's that fit our Galants, have to be custom built.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

sounds like fun to me, just one more month till i have the money to do it!

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    6g74 ftw !