The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Retrofitting headlights with Maxima Projectors (HIDS THE LEGALWAY)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 56

Retrofitting headlights with Maxima Projectors (HIDS THE LEGALWAY)

This will be my first post regrading of upgrading and retrofitting the 9th Gen Galant. I had a help from my friend who is suave with retrofitting headlights. With my help, this will be his 6th retrofit on a vehicle. I learn a lot from this and I hope most of you can too. I have used his write to post on this forum so you guys can get a better idea how HIDs should be used. With the write up I'll be double posting if all of you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution Boi
    In the past I have shown my retrofit to most of you guys and each project I have learn different things about this. This time with my partner we are going to retrofit 2007 Nissan Maxima Projectors into a 06 Mitsubishi Galant.

Background Story: We decided to look up information on retrofitting Xenon Projectors on a Galant and haven't found any sucess of one being done so or even in a correct way of fitting. Just out of the blue we went to the salvage yard and found a 07 Nissan Maxima with the headlights still intact. WE HAD TO GRAB THE PROJECTORS FAST! Normally projectors from BMWs, S2000, Infintis, usually run about 400-500 dollars with Xenon Ballasts and all the wiring configations. Luckly on ebay you can get them for 100 dollars for just the projectors by themselves. We got the whole set and I won't tell you what we got them for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-But why the retrofitting?

1. HID kits with Halogen headlights are illegal. No acceptions. Most kits have a glimmering affect and mostly at high temps could ruining your headlight wiring.

2. Cut off lines are made on the projectors for an even spread for distances so the drivers aren't blinded by your lights.

3. A cleaner look and upgrade feel for your normal headlights.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What we used for the Retrofit

- 07 Maxima Projectors and Ballast (Guess the price)
    - D2S 30000k Bulb (Pink Violet Color) $20 Ebay
    - Custom Wire Harness for conversion from Retrofitsource.com [9007 to D2S] $60-110 Depending on the Vehicle
    - 70mm Custom White Angel Eyes From Retrofitsource.com $30
    - Custom 3' Shrouds $30

Tools-

10 mm gear wrench, 12 mm, Rachet, Screwdriver philips and flat.
    Prying Tool, Electric Tape, Double sided tape, Super Glue, Rotary Tool, Circular drill saw, heat gun, pilers, and a lot of improvising.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here our the set up layed out on the kitchen table

Head light of the Galant

Testing the Angel Eye (Very Fragile)

Last edited by vietboy651; 10-20-2009 at 07:58 PM

Part 2 of Write up

Removing the Headlight from the Galant. Not as bad as taking one out from a 300zx and 350z.

In order to get our projectors to fit inside the headlight we would need to take it apart. In order to do so, we preset the oven to 300 degrees and set it in the oven on a cookie sheet for 3 mins.

Note: Removed any metel clips, rubber hoses, before putting it int he oven.

After 3 mins the glue will soften so take the headlight out and and pry the headlight with a flathead screwdiver and putty knife of some sort. Be sure to take your time on this. If the glue starts to cool and dry put it back in the oven for 30 seconds.

Note: After the first headlight is pryed, the oven will be hotter than before. So reduce the time to 1 1/2 for the second headlight. Remember take your time with these headlights.

After both headlights lenes have been removed, we took out the inner chrome housing for our projector to be placed.

Removing the Halogen light shield. Screw them.

On the back of the housing we took a 2 1/2 circular saw drill on the back in order for the projector to fit inside.

Result:

The owner "JT" goofing around. Asian people really....lol. Oh look a B14 on the background!

Just to make it easier took a rotary tool to cut the housing for the projector to fit. Good thing the housing had a perfect outline for use to cut. We just too a sharpy to get a better view.

The result:

Some hardware we picked up at ACE

We didn't use brackets for the projector since the housing was fitted perfect. We just marked the projector where it could be drilled and bolted to keep the projector in place.

Having both put together.

Part 3 of Write Up

We took the shrouds and fitted them on to the housing around the projectors. We had to cut the shroud in order to have a good fit around the projector.

We added the Angel eyes on to the shourd. From Retrofitsource the Shrouds have a custom groove for the angel eyes to fits. We used super glue to keep these eyes in place. We went ahead and placed them on the back housing of the headlight.

Back to the Oven. Preset again to 300 for the oven. We are going to use the same glue that was on the headlight by reheating it with the oven. We were able to put them together with some arm strength. It's much eaiser with two people.

We were kinda afraid that the oven would hurt from the fragile parts inside the headlight. So we went head and tested the Angel eye connected to the parking lights.

The game plan before installing

Testing HID bulbs and balast.

Heres the balast from the Maxima while we put the D2S bulb in. We also used the same rubber seals for a cleaner look.

Testing HID and Angel Eye

Headlights both on

4th Part of the Write up

Now for the parking Light test! Sexy ness!

HID TEST ON! (Warm up)

Oh btw, the parking lights and signal lights are LEDs. Fogs are HID as well.

Trying to get the cut off correct.

Last cool photo!

And to celebrate our sucess a case of Asahi.

I did this similar to my Z32. But the projector were useless on the Z using halogen bulbs. So I replace them with some M3 Projectors for a cleaner, sharper output using a HID kits. If you have any questions about retrofiting PM me anytime. Retrofitting is great if you don't want to spend 800 to 1000 dollars on Xenon Headlights replacements.

I know my bulb are purple but I don't give a shit because this state doesn't really give a shit unless you have projectors in your vehicle. I also have 3000k Yellow Bulbs for the winter, 5000k Pure White, just for shits and giggles, I have 12000k Exotic Purple just to get people to turn their heads, and 35000k of Pink Violet for the same reason as the purple. Just going for a show car look for moment, but I hope I can learn more from you guys about my vehicle.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    nice writeup! I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem, but might want to include some kind of warning saying you guys are not responsible for any damage done to a person's headlights while attempting this.

I don't understand the purpose of cutting the hole with the drill, then using the rotary tool?

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    I don't understand the purpose of cutting the hole with the drill, then using the rotary tool?
    lol

You know what, we thought about that too. My partner wanted to kick himself in the nuts for thinking that. He was like...

Look at this way, we took at two appoarches just in case. Like what he said, it takes a lot of improvising.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    nice work on the retro.. ...not a big fan of the purple hids kinda kills the purpose of doing a retro (the desire for more light/lumens lol)

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    pretty sweet ! just i would never go with 30000k

Great job!! Welcome to the site.
    Love,
    Matt

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    good job man. i took the easy way out and just bought the gts projector heads.

Thanks guys! I know the whole purpose of retrofitting is to desire more light but I didn't really care, because I wanted to feel safer having HIDs with the projectors without getting pulled over.

I do have other bulbs just in case I needed to switched them.

Quote Originally Posted by 9G View Post
    good job man. i took the easy way out and just bought the gts projector heads.
    I agree. Good job!

but I would have bought the factory/OEM mitsubishi Projector headlamps.
    IMHO they look much much better.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Agree..but I just want to do something different and instead of the dual headlight look..plus my both led side markers looks nice with it...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Good work..

wow great work!!! very original...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Thanks krazienluv10..I really digging the lip...how can I get something similar to it??

the knowledge is priceless, and you now know what is involved. now all your friends will be askin you to do crazy retros for them. and you can make some money off of it. i have a buddy who did his first set, now he is doing a lot for the lexus and vip scene.

it required a heat gun, cutting and melting/extending from another car
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    nice work, great write up
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast