The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Suspension Issues and Tire Rubbing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

Suspension Issues and Tire Rubbing

So I lowered my car about a year ago, and at the time I had my 18's tire size 225/40Z and I never had rubbing issues what so ever. But for about 8 months I've been driving around with stocks. Due to me busting all 3 tires @ once on NYC pot holes and no cash to buy new ones. Rough times. But recently I brought my car to a mechanic to fix headlight issues, and have my shocks checked out, because my car just seemed to be so bouncy. To my surprise they said that my shocks were ok.

So with that said. I spent my money on getting new tires finally and threw on my 18's. But as soon as I drove off the lot. I heard tire rubbing in the rear driver side, so I pulled over to check it out, and I noticed sticky rubber residue on the fender and top side wall of the tire, with little to no clearance @ all. Now I feel like I spent a whapping 800.00 on 4 new Tires, Alignment, Warranty, and disposal when I could have been spent it on new shocks and struts.

I also took a pic of my car recently and compared it to the one I took when I dropped it the first time, and it looks as though the back is a lot lower now than when I first dropped it. The now image is a bit darker, but

Before:

Now:

Although I never replaced my stock shocks and struts when I lowered my car. It is bouncy. Dammit. But everyone says that lowering your car will give you a bouncier ride. Is this true, or are my shocks and struts blown? I think currently the the drop is 1.7 in the front, and 1.4 in the rear.

SO many questions. Do I need new shocks and struts? How much would it cost to get them put on? My original I plan was to buy some KYB's within a few months of dropping it, but I couldn't. If I do need new shocks and struts should I get KYB Strut boots, and Mounts too? I don't have a camber kit on it, but should I, if so what fitment should I get? Should I get different springs? I feel like Teins would be a better bet. I feel dumb asking this question. But will I fail emissions for my tires rubbing? I need to register my car but I haven't done so, due to my headlight issues. But now this.

But as usual I'm low on funds. So I won't be able to get this fixed for another month or two. So in the mean time is there anything I can do lessen the rubbing until I get new shocks and struts, or whatever it is I need to do to fix my suspension and tire rubbing issue? Thanks

blown shocks will not cause you to fail emissions.

one way to tell if your shocks are blown is if you see oil all over the place on the shocks. another way to check is to push down on the rear and see if it bounces up and down. It shouldnt.

replacing the rear shocks is easy. one person can do it on his own. 2 people will make it even simpler. I think shops charge around 300-400 to replace all 4 shocks/struts. you and a friend can do all 4 shocks in 6 hours if its your first time. Less, if your friend has done this before.

if youre buying kyb's, you will reuse the stock mounts.

Thanks man! Shit I don't know anything about repairing bro. I'd be down to learn lol! I'm gonna try and push down on my trunk and see what happens.

Also a point should be said some tire companies make a thinner tire and say they are 225 and others are like 230 and say 225. so you could have had like a 220 or around there and now if it isnt the same brand/tire it could be like a 230 which given we dont know your offset could have been enough to make the tires rub the fenders.

If it is rubbing from one blown strut I can get you a GR2 for 60 and we can install it I am on long Island and got free time for a while til school restarts.

if you corrected your alignment, it might have brought the top of the tire closer to the fender causing it to rub.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

So I pushed down on the trunk and it really didn't bounce too much. I assume if they were blown, it would be really bouncy. But I'm not sure if it's not bouncing because it's hitting the tires. I also noticed that when I drive solo rubbing does not occur as much. When I had my daughter in the car whos' 45 lbs. It started to rub more. The same side the driver rear tire.

I did get different tires from the first time around. Before I had Faulkens, and now I have Hankook Ventures both were 225 but maybe there not the same in height as you were stating (03-Galant-ES). How do I know if it's just the rear driver side that's blown. I do know that there's hardly any rubbing on the passenger rear side. I do notice that I hear alot of squeaking when I go over bumps in the rear. Is that my tires rubbing as well?

Quote Originally Posted by esogalant View Post
    So I pushed down on the trunk and it really didn't bounce too much. I assume if they were blown, it would be really bouncy. But I'm not sure if it's not bouncing because it's hitting the tires. I also noticed that when I drive solo rubbing does not occur as much. When I had my daughter in the car whos' 45 lbs. It started to rub more. The same side the driver rear tire.

I did get different tires from the first time around. Before I had Faulkens, and now I have Hankook Ventures both were 225 but maybe there not the same in height as you were stating (03-Galant-ES). How do I know if it's just the rear driver side that's blown. I do know that there's hardly any rubbing on the passenger rear side. I do notice that I hear alot of squeaking when I go over bumps in the rear. Is that my tires rubbing as well?
    Jack the car up and look at the shock absorber to see if it is covered in the oil from the inside. Also what pinoy said you may just need to camber correct them have like .2degree more of negative camber.

You also said that you lowered the car on stock struts so there is a good chance that it caused too much strain on the one shock absorber. If it is blown the others may follow soon enough.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 01-05-2010 at 10:36 AM

when I lowered my car on Tein springs and stock shocks, they lasted about 1 year before they blew. Other members had their stock shocks last even less

I did have an alignment done. If I get a camber kit how do I know which fitment to get? I'm gonna try and jack it up and see if there's oil leakage. But I think overall I should just get new shocks and struts and Tein springs. I personally don't like the drop I have now. I've seen the Tein drop and it looks hella dope. If anyone knows a good mechanic in the NYC area to get this done. lmk. Thanks

I did my tein drop myself. If you have a free day you can come over and we can do it in my drive way. You need to rent a spring compressor from Auto Zone I should have everything else.

roll the rear fenders to clear the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    roll the rear fenders to clear the tires.
    you know where to rent rollers? Like any national brand places?

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    I did my tein drop myself. If you have a free day you can come over and we can do it in my drive way. You need to rent a spring compressor from Auto Zone I should have everything else.

thats the spirit. If you have a space heater, we can turn this into a meet. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    thats the spirit. If you have a space heater, we can turn this into a meet. lol.
    No space heater Aaron and my house isnt much warmer then outside. We can turn this into a meet if someone has a space heater or a heated garage or anything.

By the way I am trying to set up a meet so this could give us something to do right now the vote is for the weekend of the 16th spread the word maybe.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...387#post557387
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 01-05-2010 at 02:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    you know where to rent rollers? Like any national brand places?
    i had mine professionally cut out, but there are many places online that will rent the roller and a heatgun for like $50 including shipping.

Nice... Man, I can't drive out to Long Island. I'm grounded by the government. Can't leave the 5 borough. 16th is a maybe, if it's in the NYC some how, and the fiance let's me off the leash. That's my life. lol!

(Reelax) I was thinking that the easiest solution is to roll the fenders. But is that like good for the body?

Quote Originally Posted by esogalant View Post
    Nice... Man, I can't drive out to Long Island. I'm grounded by the government. Can't leave the 5 borough. 16th is a maybe, if it's in the NYC some how, and the fiance let's me off the leash. That's my life. lol!

(Reelax) I was thinking that the easiest solution is to roll the fenders. But is that like good for the body?
    if done correctly there is no downside, just more clearance. many of us have either rolled the fenders or cut them out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    if done correctly there is no downside, just more clearance. many of us have either rolled the fenders or cut them out completely.
    So whats the best way to do it rent a roller and heatgun or have it cut? Where can I rent the roller and heat gun? Thanks

Rolling your fenders with a fender roller and heat gun is pretty simple. Check out this video, its kinda cheesy, but it shows you what you need to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqiTfYyaI1A

When you do it, just take your time. You don't want to crack your paint.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Eso if you dont mind spending some money there are plenty of places in BK that can roll your fenders. Just find any good shop that tunes BMW/Mercedes cars. I bet even 212 Motoring off the belt does it. Even VW performance places will do it because most of those european tuner cars love running deep dish wheels which make rolling the fenders mandatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast