The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: No headlights, no power to headlight fuses, 03 galant

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

No headlights, no power to headlight fuses, 03 galant

First time post here, looks like a good message board!

My girlfriend's 2003 galant with the 2.4L is having headlight problems. Well, no headlights to be exact. Everything else works - high beams, turn signals, dash lighting - except for the headlights. Tested with my multimeter and I'm not getting any power to the fuses. The dash lights will turn on when the headlight switch is turned - but as stated, no power to the fuses. Is there anything else I can check before I replace the headlight switch/turn signal assembly itself? That part is $120 and would like to know before I drop that kind of coin.

Thanks a bunch!

No ideas?
    Mine: 2 Cummins P pumped 12Vs - one fast, one slow.

Reason I'm here: girlfriend's 2003 galant, bone stock.

Quote Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
    First time post here, looks like a good message board!

My girlfriend's 2003 galant with the 2.4L is having headlight problems. Well, no headlights to be exact. Everything else works - high beams, turn signals, dash lighting - except for the headlights. Tested with my multimeter and I'm not getting any power to the fuses. The dash lights will turn on when the headlight switch is turned - but as stated, no power to the fuses. Is there anything else I can check before I replace the headlight switch/turn signal assembly itself? That part is $120 and would like to know before I drop that kind of coin.

Thanks a bunch!
    I dont think you need to replace the assembly itself, because everything else works and dash lights come on when its turned. I know this is going to sound stupid, but you did check the low filament on bulbs? Not that I think that is it.

I would take out the tachometer. Its easy 6 screws and trace the wires from the switch. Check each wire at each setting to make sure they are getting power and if they arent then its switch if they are its something between switch and fuse box.

Thanks! I'll look into pulling the tach today.

Quote Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
    Thanks! I'll look into pulling the tach today.
    Look on the top of the housing in front of the glass there are 2 screws. The black piece comes out then. Be careful not to full the dimmer switch wires out. Then the tach is held in by 4 screws on each corner. I would use a magnetic screw driver cause they fall easily unless you have small hands. Then pull tach out slowly and un plug the rear should be 2 harness type things black one on left white on right..

Here are pics from a gauge install I did on someones car.

Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 01-06-2010 at 01:09 PM

Thanks. Got the tach out of the way and got to the two connectors, one white and one black. Which wire should I test for the headlights?

im not sure why you would check the tach to diagnose your headlights since the tach has nothing to do with the headlights.

if you aren't getting power at the fuse, i'd check to relay to see if that is functioning correctly.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I don't have any kind of manual for this car... where can I find the headlight relay?

I appreciate all of the help!

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    im not sure why you would check the tach to diagnose your headlights since the tach has nothing to do with the headlights.

if you aren't getting power at the fuse, i'd check to relay to see if that is functioning correctly.
    I said to check the wire from the stalk to it. I was pretty sure you can access that behind tach.

the relay will be in the fuse box under the hood, should say headlights on the box if not there then its under the dash you will find it though, just a 4 prong. I would check that first they have moving parts and can fail often.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Checked the relays under the hood. In the main fuse box there is only one relay, and that's for the horn. In the small relay box next to that there are only relays for the auto trans, engine and A/C (I'm assuming that's what is meant by the snowflake drawing).

I then looked at the relays under the dash. I found a diagram for all the fuses but I have no idea what the 5 relays under there are for. Does anyone know which one it is?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Relay! Listen for the relay click when you switch from driving lights to headlights.. Of there's no click, bad relay. If there is a click, there's more to this.