The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Head Gasket

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Head Gasket

well i am changing my head gasket this weekend, since it think this is why my car is having the issues its having( sputtering, drinking coolant, sickly sweet smell when i open the hood when its running, exhaust having alot of condensation coming out of the exhaust, and a little bit o white smoke when i roll into the throttle, and a cylinder 2 misfire( i am getting spark though).

Is there and tips or trick in doing this??,

Also what is the best way of removing the intake manifold, i have started, but i cant see what the hell is under it that needs to be moved

also should i replace the head studs at the same time??

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    You can replace the head bolts with studs if you want to, they are fairly cheap at $100 for a set. If you plan on going turbo in the future, then definetly do the studs now.

As for removing the intake manifold and stuff under it, slide under the car and just look up and you can see everything from the bottom. Just remember to take your time, dont loose bolts and clips and make sure you remember where everything goes. When I first started modding my car, I would take pics of things before I took them apart so I could reference the pics later if I misplaced something or couldnt get it together right.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Replace the headstuds, you cannot reuse them safely. Make sure you clean the block and head surface thoroughly. Use some carb cleaner, razer blade, and/or scotch bright pad to get ALL of the old gasket off.

While you are at it, if you havent done your timing belt/water pump, may as well replace that as well.
    7g for life!

im ordering the timeing belt kit too. Im not trying to half ass stuff, but what do you mean by not being able to reuse the head studs safely??
    As for remebering i put painters tape around everything with what its name is, like inj 1(injector 1) IAC, that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    im ordering the timeing belt kit too. Im not trying to half ass stuff, but what do you mean by not being able to reuse the head studs safely??
    As for remebering i put painters tape around everything with what its name is, like inj 1(injector 1) IAC, that stuff
    Don't let the word stud and bolt be used interchangeably. You have headbolts in your motor from the factory. They tend to stretch under boosted conditions. Studs are usually made from a higher tensile strength steel and have a greater clamping force then a bolt.

You do not reuse headbolts, because they stretch when you torque them rendering them useless if you're trying to fix a blown headgasket. If you want to install studs, as said above they are cheap but aren't needed unless you plan on installing a turbo.

2001 F250 - Highly Modified - 11.6 @ 115.7
    2000 Galant - stock
    1992 Accord - stock - beater

alright thank-you, i understand bolts are from the factory and studs are for boosted applications, theoretically speaking, would the studs need to be changed every time the head is puled??

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    alright thank-you, i understand bolts are from the factory and studs are for boosted applications, theoretically speaking, would the studs need to be changed every time the head is puled??
    No.

The studs can be re-used.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Correct, my fault. You are not supposed to re-use headbolts. They get stretched when torqued. Always replace headbolts when pulling the head. Headstuds, you can re-use.
    7g for life!

You should always check the studs for stretch too before reusing them.

2001 F250 - Highly Modified - 11.6 @ 115.7
    2000 Galant - stock
    1992 Accord - stock - beater

thanks guys, i learn something new every day on this car