The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Broken Mirror Help

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Broken Mirror Help

I have a 2000 Galant with a broken mirror to fix and I was wondering if I could just pull the mirror out and replace it. If so, can anyone explain out to do it? I'll probably go down to the store and get a Haynes Manual tomorrow or Wednesday, but figured I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

right behind the tweeters theirs 3 bolts,loosen all of them and pull off,if you wanna be on the safe side remove door panels etc

Broken mirror, or the entire housing is broken? If you mean the housing, then you pop off the interior trim piece off and there are three bolts holding it on. I believe you may have to take the door pannel off to disconnect the wiring for the mirror motor but i coulde be wrong. I have an extra housing with mirror in it for the passenger side that i could sell you if this is in fact the piece you broke. PM me if your intrested in it

Quote Originally Posted by 8g831 View Post
    right behind the tweeters theirs 3 bolts,loosen all of them and pull off,if you wanna be on the safe side remove door panels etc
    Thanks. I know how to get the whole mirror assembly off, I just want to replace the actual mirror (the glass). Maybe that's not possible?

PS this is the driver side.

For clarification, this is a picture of what it looks like (not actual mirror, just one I found on the internets!)

Last edited by Marty; 04-06-2010 at 02:06 AM

2001 F250 - Highly Modified - 11.6 @ 115.7
    2000 Galant - stock
    1992 Accord - stock - beater

And it seems 8g831 can type faster than i can lol

I found this article, but want to be sure the process is the same on these galants before I go messing something up.

http://www.rd.com/97935/article97935.html

2000 Galant - stock

Bump

2000 Galant - stock

I'm not sure but if you pry on in hard enough, the glass and the base it is attached to should just pop out. If I remember right, they are just held on by clips. But correct me if I'm wrong.

I replaced the mirror in my dad's durango by popping out the old one (put a trash can under it so that if it breaks, you don't have a big mess) and then just popping in the new one.

different cars, but should be the same concept.. plus the glass is broken anyway, so it's not like you can hurt it more by trying that.

1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES

Thanks, that is what I was planning on doing.

Can anyone link me to a new/used driver side electric mirror. If it's cheap enough I'll just replace it rather then put the new mirror in because the mirror quit working before this happened. It's the tan/pewter color.

2000 Galant - stock

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    if it was me i would replace the whole thing its tricky removing the old mirror without breaking the tabs that hold it into place...
    try ebay.... for the new one...

The glass pulled right off. As soon as I get a new mirror, it'll be on in minutes! Thanks.

2000 Galant - stock

The plastic piece comes out. You have to reach in behind it and squeeze the metal clips together and push them out of their holder. Once you do that the plastic piece comes out.

On the new mirror I left the clip installed and pushed it on by hand with a cloth. Works great.

2000 Galant - stock

Oh yeah, btw it was 15 bucks at the dealership.

2000 Galant - stock

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    nice!!! good work.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed