The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Front passenger wheel Squealing

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Front passenger wheel Squealing

Hi Guys,

Just had both front inner tie rods changed and the wheels laser aligned, but on the drive home im getting a squealing noise at about 20mph and intermittently at speeds above that.

I jacked it up and rotated the wheel with my hands and there is a metal on metal friction noise, i assume at higher speeds this is the squeaking, i have no idea what it is.

I had a good look under it and the tie rods look fine.

brakes pads are quite old but it seems coincidental for this to happen straight after the tie rods were changed.

Could the shop have tightened the wheels too much or anything else simple do you think?

possibly the wheel bearings need more grease or they are going bad

Maybe it's the plate behind the rotor. If you can see behind it you might just be able to bend it back to it's place.

What plate? what rotor? be more specific and ill go look right now. Also thanks

he is probably refering to the backing plate

^yeah. Behind the passenger side rotor (the round disk that your wheel sits on) there is a metal "plate" the same size as the rotor. I only mention this because I had he same kind of noise once. It's worth a look.
    Try and see if that plate is touching the rotor in any area.

If you feel like checking your wheel bearings, jack the car up on the passenger side only and check by trying to turn the wheel left and right with your hands on the tires/rims. If you hear a clunking or see any movement at all (wheel isn't supposed to move), then your wheel bearing is bad.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Thanks guys

definitely not the bearing, i noticed the play your talking about and the tie rod change has eliminated that, the plate is a good suggestion, its dark now but ill try it first thing tomorrow.