The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine Drain Plug (Coolant)

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Engine Drain Plug (Coolant)

I've read a couple of threads here concerning this, but it doesn't seem like anyone's located it? I'm looking for the engine drain plug that let's the coolant out of the engine... according to some, it's behind the engine block. I've been looking, and I've noticed this bolt sticking out of the back of my cylinder block (looking from underneath the car, more towards the driver side)... pictures are below, does anyone know what this bolt is? I'm assuming it's either the plug I'm looking for, or the oil pressure switch.

I have a V6 btw, any help would be appreciated!

'03 Galant LS V6

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    thats not what my oil pressure switch looked like but i am 4 cyl.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I was never aware the V6's had a coolant drain on the block itself. I know for certain the 4 cylinders dont. The bolt you posted in the pic is definetly a block off type plug. I would venture to say it blocks off some type of oil passage, because typically the oil passages are more toward the outside of the block and the coolant passages are further inside around the cylinders. unscrew it, if its an oil passage, as long as the car isnt running, not much oil will come out. if its a coolant passage, problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Thanks for the responses... the service manual clearly states there is one, and in fact there's another bolt on the front of the cylinder block just above the oil filter just like this one... regardless, I couldn't break either one loose, but for anyone looking for it, these may very well be it.

'03 Galant LS V6