The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Freeze out plugs!!!help fast

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Freeze out plugs!!!help fast

I have a 4g64 es, on the back of the block underneath the intake manifold there are 4 freeze out plugs. Rusted out like you couldnt believe, tried using a punch to push them in a lil' and then spin them and pull out. LOL needless to say , u already know its never that easy. the center of the freeze out plug came out, but the collar of it is still attached to the wall of the opening. I realize I cant put a new one in until I get rid of that residual metal....I would like to get rid of it w/o removing the intake manifold. HELP

got work tomorrow , my daily driver too. this sucks, BTW does anyone know what size plug an 8g 4g64 block accepts, the old plug wasnt salvagable for size comparison

[IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:bQFf5H9fu2T33M:http://jamsauto.com/blog/wp-content/...eze%20Plug.jpg
    Last edited by cleazy123; 05-12-2010 at 09:58 PM

they look like this punched hole instead of pushing and breaking seal,middle out ring leftover(collar)

tbs%3Disch:1[/IMG]
    Last edited by cleazy123; 05-12-2010 at 09:58 PM

This is going to be a PITA. Good luck on getting the freeze plug back in without disassembling the engine.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

im thinking
    -a metal file but i would have to file only the metal, but I am keeping in mind not file any of the blocks metal, but im not sure if thats gonna work.
    OR
    -torch the metal till it breaks free.(I would have to remove the intake manifold and remove all rubber hoses.

dont use a metal file, you dont want to get any metal shavings in the water jackets behind those freeze plugs.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

ok yeah I know i chose not to. this really sucks, Im gonna have to take the intake manifold off... only way.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    no offense but you shouldnt have been messing with them in the first place. they werent leaking til you tried pulling them out, I know plenty of guys with motors with 200,000 miles and rusted ass freeze plugs with no problems.

now on to the real problem, yeah you def need to remove the manifold. Your best bet is going to be using a small pry bar or flat head screwdriver to act as a lever and pry the edges of the "ring" outward until it falls out.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS