The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tuner Lug Stripped

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Tuner Lug Stripped

I have tuner lugs that are 12 x 1.5 with a hex head. I was rotating my tires and one lug was seized and stripped (thank goodness I didn't strip the entire hex tool). The lug is female and the hex tool is male.

Is there a tool that I can use to remove the stripped lug or what is the best way to remove the lug?

Does anyone know of a reputable website that would have quality lugs with a different pattern than hex...like a spline?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by krow; 07-10-2010 at 10:15 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    You can get alley key head sockets made for impact guns from sears or any other online tool store. You can just go a size bigger and hammer the tool in there then remove the nut. If its already F'ed you can try to get some leverage on it and just snap the entire stud off with the nut, replacing the studs is easy and cheap.

For new lugs, try Blox, Muteki, etc. tuner lugs, they can be had for around $70 for a set
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

depending on how big they are in diameter autozone sells a thing call a bolt extractor my boss had the same prob with his car as i did his breaks for him but the largest size is i think 19 mm but they work wonders. worked for me!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Worse comes to worse drill it out...

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

good luck with that i think it would be hard to drill out due to the studs being strong as hell but it is possible, just have plenty of bits to go through just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2000Galant View Post
    Worse comes to worse drill it out...
    Quote Originally Posted by djhah View Post
    good luck with that i think it would be hard to drill out due to the studs being strong as hell but it is possible, just have plenty of bits to go through just in case
    You are likely to destroy the wheel in the process of 'drilling it out'. Avoid this at all costs as it is messy, and may likely require you replacing otherwise and possibly obsolete wheels. You should try a damaged lug, or wheel lock removal set. That should get it off without too much problem. If not, try to see if you can find a place that uses induction heat (no open flame) to heat JUST the lugnut to then remove it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    lol funnny stuff lol

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

i like mcgard spline drive nuts. Just dont take a impact gun to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2000Galant View Post
    lol funnny stuff lol
    I hope you are making an effort at being sarcastic, because if you think it won't turn into a mess by trying to drill out tuner lugs you are completely nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    Why not? I do all the time, and that is to mine, and hundreds of customer cars.

Ive had nuts and keys break on me before. And the keys also have a "no impact gun" sticker on them and they wont warranty them if they break that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    You can get alley key head sockets made for impact guns from sears or any other online tool store. You can just go a size bigger and hammer the tool in there then remove the nut. If its already F'ed you can try to get some leverage on it and just snap the entire stud off with the nut, replacing the studs is easy and cheap.

For new lugs, try Blox, Muteki, etc. tuner lugs, they can be had for around $70 for a set
    Thanks...going to Sears today.

I have torque wrench I use...when I had my rims and tires mounted the shop used an impact wrench. The loose head of the impact gun chipped paint all around the insert holes off of the rims due to the extremely close proximity of lugs to the inside wall of the rims. I made the shop replace the rims.

Ive had nuts and keys break on me before. And the keys also have a "no impact gun" sticker on them and they wont warranty them if they break that way.
    Using torque extensions removes 99% of the worry of both over-torqued wheels, and busting sockets, wheel locks, and tuner lug keys. Did not mean to come off abrasive. If you use any type of non-impact socket or key with a impact gun WITHOUT a torque extension than yes, you would break them regularly.