The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear brake drum removal

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    00GalantX

Rear brake drum removal

Does anyone know how to remove rear brake drums off a 00 galant?

take off parking brake, if you dont it wont come free, jack up car, remove 5 lugs, pull the wheel of, take a rubber mallet, give it a few good taps all around, a few taps on the back, and then pull the drum off

00GalantX
    tryed that, thats what the repair manual said, it didn't work now matter what I did the drum was on solid. I noticed there were threaded holes but I can't find the right size.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    i think its 8mm

just look up the rear disc disc conversion tuturiol, it shows you how in there

If I was planning to do any brake work I would take off my drum and test threads for you, but I am doing my swap later this summer.

00GalantX
    A hammer, rubber or metal, isn't helping. The only option I have is to find a bolt that fits the threaded holes in the drum. All the tutorials say is make sure the E brake is disengaged and wack it with a hammer on the shoulder of the drum, still wouldn't come off.
    Last edited by 00GalantX; 05-31-2010 at 01:29 AM

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    nvm lol
    Last edited by 02redgalant; 05-31-2010 at 02:18 AM

its a 12mm that threads through and takes it off, i'm doing an evo brembo conversion right now.

You can find a bunch of 12mm bolts in your car. look at the side of your dash board there should be a 12mm gold bolt you could use that for the drum . thats what i did when i went to the jy.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

Experienced TGC Member
    I believe its an m12 x 1.25. Its a common bolt size throughout the car. First place that comes to mind that you can grab one from is the one that hold the fender to the car under the hood.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

whiskers
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    I believe its an m12 x 1.25. Its a common bolt size throughout the car. First place that comes to mind that you can grab one from is the one that hold the fender to the car under the hood.
    This thread might be a bit old, but I hope this helps someone else who (like me) searches for this topic:

I tried using one of the bolts that hold the fender from under the hood and it was too small. However, there are two bolts underneath on each side of the hood which attach the hood to the rotating arms, those bolts are the correct size.

I wrote the rear disc brake tutorial. Please check the 8G tutorial section for the directions with pics.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial