The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2000 galant v6 3.0 egr/emission help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 23 of 23

Fixed?

Okay, I figured I'd do what I did last year to pass inspection and get another erg control solenoid pop that in disconnect the battery and then go right to the same place I went last year to get an inspection. I also replaced the throttle body gasket for seemly no reason. I did that today.
    Passed inspection, YAY.. And unlike last year the engine light has not gone back on after several starts and some distance driving.
    So either I got a bad erg solenoid last time or the throttle body gasket had something to do with it. Or possibly because there was junk in the egr tubes it messed up the previous solenoid, I dunno.. It will probably be a week of the light being off before I have a sigh of relief.
    Reference stuff I wanted to include: $30 to chem clean the intake at a machine shop, $50 for the egr control solenoid (Of which you can't find at a lot of part stores).
    It takes about an hour or so to remove the intake (esp. if you make diagrams and such so not to misplace bolts and locations) and you only need about 4-5 different sockets to do it. Gasket for between intake and engine $12 (have to buy a set for the one). $3 for the throttle body gasket. Also oxy sensor bank 1 sensor 2 (P0141) is next to the firewall passenger side after the cat. Also my Galant has Cali. emissions (friggin' californians!), Which means that the oxy sensor has a 4 pin connector in the shape of a #4 like on a die. From what I understand the federal emission oxy sensor is flat in a straight row connector, and the cali sensors are more $. The one I got was $80.
    Now I need to come up with about $400 for 4 new motor mounts (parts only, expensive *%#'in car), yes it seems you can drive these with all 4 mounts bad.... Remembering my deceased '89 ranger, any part I replaced was $20-25.
    Fixing it your self and not paying $77 an hour, priceless :)
    Last edited by lobsterman72; 09-09-2011 at 07:52 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    glad to see you got it figured out. If you can live with a little more vibration and are willing to get your hands dirty, take a look at doing polyurethane mounts. It only costs $80 on ebay. It took a buddy and I about 3 hours to do all 4 of the mounts.

Egr control solenoid.

Okay, everything was working fine for about a month after I replaced the egr control solenoid. Now after it warms up it has a rough idle. And I get the same egr flow error code as before.

I can go under the hood and move the body of the solenoid (it's in a metal bracket like thing) and the car will immediately run fine for a very short time. I thought it was the connector/wires. I cut them back and re wired it but it still does the same thing.

Am I just getting crap solenoids??? The last one worked for 1 week, this one for 1 month. I can't just get them anywhere and the local NAPA auto parts is the only place I've found besides going to a dealer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12