The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 02 2.4L engine mount replacement

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    TGC Regular

02 2.4L engine mount replacement

I am going to be replacing my engine mounts next weekend. I looked around the board but I could find a tutorial on how to replace all 4. Would Anybody be able to tell me the easiest way to replace the mounts?

I am pretty good with my hands, I change my own brakes, rotors, suspension, etc... Is changing the mounts a daunting task or should it be pretty easy. Also what tools should I have besides jacks and a socket set?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    its relatively easy, i dont remember the exact procedure for the 4 cyl since i havent changed them in a long time but it is similar to the v6 anyway.

the front and sides are relatively easy the rear one is a little bit of a pain.

the trick to doing it though is when you change the front, drop the whole crossmember with the front mount. do it off the car. it will also make it easier for doing the rear since you will have less obstacles in the way.

for the rear you will need a long extension to get the top bolt the other 2 you have to get from under the car.

overall its not too hard. maybee an hour 1/2 of work - 2 hrs from the old ones out to the new ones in.

only other tip really is do the front/ back first then the 2 sides it will make it easier to line them back up and give you enough play to get them all out relaively easy.

as far as tools
    a jack and jackstands and sockets with a long extension is all you need

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    The front, back and passenger side (engine) are the easiest. The one on the tranny is always the bitch because of the lack of space. My advice would be to remove the K-frame crossmember, thats the one that goes front to back with the front motor mount on it, remove it completely, there are two 17mm bolts up front and 2 14mm bolts under the back, then the bolt that goes thru the mount is 14mm (so is the nut) remove all that and it drops out. With it out, bolt the new front mount to it, viola, thats done. Next, do the rear mount, you can get at it from the bottom, its a PITA but you can. Remove the bolt going thru the center, then from the top with a very long extension, remove the 3 14mm bolts holding it to the subframe, then pull on the engine forward a little bit and slide it out. Me personally, I change the tranny mount with the front and rear mounts out already, it gives me more room to lower the engine/tranny for access. To get the tranny mount out, you need the intake removed. Support the engine with a jack, I like to put a block of wood or phone book between the jacks cup and the oil pan and hold it there. Remove the bolt from the center of the mount, remove the 4 14mm nuts holding the mount to the studs, lower the engine/tranny down until you have enough room to slide the mount out, slide the new one in, and done. The mount on the engine is the easiest one, its self explanitory. I leave that one for last though, get the other 3 mounts back in before removing the one on the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    The front, back and passenger side (engine) are the easiest. The one on the tranny is always the bitch because of the lack of space. My advice would be to remove the K-frame crossmember, thats the one that goes front to back with the front motor mount on it, remove it completely, there are two 17mm bolts up front and 2 14mm bolts under the back, then the bolt that goes thru the mount is 14mm (so is the nut) remove all that and it drops out. With it out, bolt the new front mount to it, viola, thats done. Next, do the rear mount, you can get at it from the bottom, its a PITA but you can. Remove the bolt going thru the center, then from the top with a very long extension, remove the 3 14mm bolts holding it to the subframe, then pull on the engine forward a little bit and slide it out. Me personally, I change the tranny mount with the front and rear mounts out already, it gives me more room to lower the engine/tranny for access. To get the tranny mount out, you need the intake removed. Support the engine with a jack, I like to put a block of wood or phone book between the jacks cup and the oil pan and hold it there. Remove the bolt from the center of the mount, remove the 4 14mm nuts holding the mount to the studs, lower the engine/tranny down until you have enough room to slide the mount out, slide the new one in, and done. The mount on the engine is the easiest one, its self explanitory. I leave that one for last though, get the other 3 mounts back in before removing the one on the engine.
    OK So u are saying remove the Front Mount first, the the Rear mount(Dont install the new ones yet) then remove the tranny mount. Install Tranny mount, then front and rear mount. Finally just replace side mount?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    yes. By having the front and rear mount out, it will give you enough room to lower the engine to get the tranny side mount out.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I am glad I found this because I need to do this soon. Where should I get new mounts? Does O'Reilly sell this type of thing or will I need to go to an import car parts place? Thanks for the simple tutorials too!
    2002 ES
    KYB Struts
    17" wheels
    K&N air filter

TGC Regular
    My car was just totaled... I was rear ended by a drunk driver!! I got all the motor mounts if you want them. I actually received all of the parts the day of my accident which really sucks cuz mitsu wants to charge me 80 to return them and I gotta pay for shipping. SO I'd probably loose out on $150

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Do you have the drivers side mount?