The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Testing Distributor

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

Testing Distributor

Hello,

I have a 98 Galant. The other morning it started up, ran for a few seconds, started sputtering and died when put into gear. It would not start back up until we waited a few minutes. It restarted just for a few seconds again and died. Now it will not start at all.

At first it seemed like fuel issue. I felt for the fuel pump when turning to the key to 'ON' and no fuel pump noise or vibrations or anything. I took it out and tested it and all was good. Finally realized you need to try to start (turn over) the engine before the fuel pump will kick on. Put it all back together and its getting fuel fine and pump is running when turning over. I believe that means the crank positioning sensor is working (since pump kicks on when trying to start).

I then pulled a spark plug and tired for spark. No spark. Its a 98 so I am pretty sure that the crank sensor is NOT in the distributor like older models. I have also read that distributor failure is common on 98 Galants. Before I order a new one is there a DIY or can anyone give me directions on how to test a distributor with a volt/ohm meter?

I am sure you checked fuses. Yes it does have separate crank trigger. Make sure the cam is turning when you crank it first. If it is then just try a used distributor 94-98 will work as long as you use the matching cap and rotor.