The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: About ready to take a sledge hammer and.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

About ready to take a sledge hammer and.......

Im at my ends with this car........

02 v6.......
    i changed the spark plugs,wires, battery, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, catalytic convertor, speed sensor(the one on top of the tranny right under auto shift cable) air hoses, new fluids, and some other stuff........

when shes in park or neutral she will rev all the way to red line and more...when i put her in drive she wont rev over 1500-rpm stays at or below 20-mph moving and with the pedal to the floor she still wont rev over 1500rpm.......every now and then maybe once or twice in a 20 block run shell burst out of 1500rpm/20mph and take off but after having to stop for a red light or stop sign she goes back to assmunch turtle mode. please help before i kill her and bury the evidence.

Experienced TGC Member
    Have you checked all vaccum hoses and lower, Upper, and Throttle Body gaskets? Curious what "other stuff" you replaced as well

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Last time I heard of this the car was in limp mode due to an electrical problem. check all your connectors to make sure its all plugged in correctly and make sure you didnt damage any wiring. Try disconnecting the battery for about 20 minuted to reset everything and then power back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

hoses have been changed 1 week ago,,,when i bought the car in middle -end of 06 the dealer replaced the throttle body and all components , car had 50k and is only at 87k so i doubt the gaskets went bad that quick on throttle body....... i changed all the gaskets on the manifolds and sparkplug housings new rotor and cap other stuff......im tired now gonna go play wow

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Last time I heard of this the car was in limp mode due to an electrical problem. check all your connectors to make sure its all plugged in correctly and make sure you didnt damage any wiring. Try disconnecting the battery for about 20 minuted to reset everything and then power back up.
    Limp mode on the V6 is similar to the 4cyl as they will both dump gobs of fuel and run. Having no spark is another issue that wouldn't be a limp mode issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    hoses have been changed 1 week ago,,,when i bought the car in middle -end of 06 the dealer replaced the throttle body and all components , car had 50k and is only at 87k so i doubt the gaskets went bad that quick on throttle body....... i changed all the gaskets on the manifolds and sparkplug housings new rotor and cap other stuff......im tired now gonna go play wow
    Did you replace the distributor or just the cap and rotor? If you didn't replace the distributor it is possibly a bad ignition module and will require a whole new distributor to be installed.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Limp mode on the V6 is similar to the 4cyl as they will both dump gobs of fuel and run. Having no spark is another issue that wouldn't be a limp mode issue.

Did you replace the distributor or just the cap and rotor? If you didn't replace the distributor it is possibly a bad ignition module and will require a whole new distributor to be installed.
    Im not sure why your talking about having no spark. He says the car runs but hits a rev limiter wall at 1500rpms when the car is in gear but can rev to redline in park or neutral, it seems the ignition is functioning fine if the car is going to redline. The 1500 rpm limit sounds like a sensor failure and or ECU problem. I know with my old setup when I had a bad contact on the TPS my car would hit a rev limiting wall in 2nd gear at 2500 rpms.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Im not sure why your talking about having no spark. He says the car runs but hits a rev limiter wall at 1500rpms when the car is in gear but can rev to redline in park or neutral, it seems the ignition is functioning fine if the car is going to redline. The 1500 rpm limit sounds like a sensor failure and or ECU problem. I know with my old setup when I had a bad contact on the TPS my car would hit a rev limiting wall in 2nd gear at 2500 rpms.
    Fail...nvm got this topic confused with another nvm

www.blackheartmotors.net

ok after checking wires all over i found some tire rubbed wires in passenger wheel well so i individualy extended each wire by 12" and soldered all connections(after 20 wires i lost count) also heat shrink wrapped each solder joint then made a custom steel strike plate to protect the rerouted wires from anymore possible tire rub-this was all a pain in he ass...... so my problem still exist but has improved...i still cant florr it but im up to 3-4krpm and 20-30 mph.....and i have a soft coded for o2 sensors. battle buddy says that that could be causing the power loss, so ima grab some qvc electonic cleaner and blast them tomorrow..... ive never heard bad o2 sensor screwing power but hes a pretty damn good mech for mogas putt putts so ima try what he says...besides im not spending 300 bucks on new o2 sensors. grrr i miss my glow plug diesel days.
    Last edited by jubeiaire; 07-28-2010 at 12:34 AM

queston: can i disconnect the TPS and drive the car to rule out the TPS or would i get the same issue if not worse with/without the TPS connected?

would a bad MAFS be able to cause this problem?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    would a bad MAFS be able to cause this problem?
    Dont think so. I ran my car without one for a week or so cuz I had to wait for the piece to ship in and most it would do was attempt to die but only occasionally.

would anyone living in ny 5 boroughs area happen to have a 99-03 galant not being used as a daily drive that would be willing to let me borrow your TPS to see if my TPS is faulty before i spend $200 on one and find out i wasted $200

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    get your meter and get a reading on the wires. i was going to suggest either the tps or the iac. you arent throwing any codes are you? more then likely it would come up. the symptoms do point to what would happen if either went bad though.

you did however say the problem improved some when you fixed the shorted wires. i would give the car another once over and see if any others are damaged

i double checked all running wires and it was just those i think it got better cause i had a week signal to the fuel pump cause now i go a little faster but still same issue just at a higher speed/rpm....but not enough of an improve to say it was from the wires.

i am throwing soft codes for the mafs and o2 sensors

grrrr that means buying a new meter....and remembering how to test the damn wires....how well do you test wires while eating free breakfast?

Get the mass air sensor from the junkyard probably for about $25-$40. The TPS sensor could def be causing your problem but I figure if it was that it would throw a code. I have a standalone engine management system, when my TPS wire is unplugged, my car holds at 2,000RPMS no matter where the gas pedal is. Im not sure what would happen on a stock ECU though.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

MAF sensor, vacuum leak, and tbs will cause your car RPM to be unstable. Mine was doing the same thing RPM was hight and them drop out of no ware. The cause was the MAF sensor, it took me a while to figure it out. I got one from ebay and resolved the problem also go to a junk yard and ask if they got a 8G. Do this, take MAF sensor connector off and turn on the car if you see any RPM changes like dropping or staying the same is your MAF sensor. You could take it out and clean it with MAF cleaner and see whats happens. You will get a code if you test this, be ready to reset it. When you done changing it or cleaning it, disconnect battery for 5 min to reset ECU and it will reset the code if the MAF sensor is working. Also the ECU will relearn the new RPM. Do the same for the TBS, disconect, test with car on and if you see the same outcome or changes.

Also there is a member selling a MAF in NY for $50, jump on that. Fetal1, see if he has a TBS also.
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=41549
    Last edited by Isaurio; 07-31-2010 at 10:51 AM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

ok so i was gonna buy parts from junkyard/reg store but total was still gonna run me about 800 bucks on all the parts i need based on Codes until i saw a craiges list for a 2000 for 600 so ima go test drive it tomorrow and take it to autozone for a free code reading if it has no soft/hard codes and drives well enough ima just get the whole car and put its good parts on my engine swap my engine into its undmged frame and keep on trukin...so expect a part out soon for parts from the new car that i wont need. and as a by product of good luck the 2000s dont throw codes after tranny swap so yayyy on that too.

Good luck bro

SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

got the car paid 600... not to bad.....just need to get down to stripping parts and waititng for check to buy an engine hoist and stand....grrr i hate waiting....

Dam good price.

SOHC Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast