The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3g steering wheel on the 8g?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33
    Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar

3g steering wheel on the 8g?

I need help installing my 3g wheel on my 8g! Anyone know how? do i have to remove the battery at all?

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

EDIT: This works ^^^ lol

You will need to remove the positive terminal from your car for at least 15 mins. You'll want to hold it to the frame which will ensure you're electronic system is completely drained.

You will need a star bit to remove the steering wheel

I hope you're changing the clock spring while you're in there. Everything should just be take out and put back in, just different looks.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post

You will need to remove the positive terminal from your car for at least 15 mins. You'll want to hold it to the frame which will ensure you're electronic system is completely drained.

I hope you're changing the clock spring while you're in there. Everything should just be take out and put back in, just different looks.

thanks guys, I will try it out tomorrow!

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post

why would he change his clock spring?

On a related note. . . I also change my steering wheel. . but one without the airbag type. . with some modification. . i manage it to fit. . it looks nice. . my only concern is the SRS indicator in the panel is now always lit. . i know its airbag connection. . . could it be disabled. . or i just take of the bulb. . any suggestion?
    PEACE. . .

why would you remove the drivers airbag? completely? thats just asking for trouble IMO if its a daily..... Of course the srs indicator is going to be lit, its looking for something thats not there, its not getting a signal back, and therefore I'm pretty sure your WHOLE air bags system is inop now... to get rid of it? completely? put it back in and then go to the dealer, they have to reset that light.

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

the original steering wheel is about to crumble. . cracks were all over. . so i decided to look for a replacement. .. i found a leather mitsubishi steering wheel (w/out airbag) in a good condition and decided to try it on. . put a little or a major surgery on it . . i did manage to fit it in place. . well . . minus the airbag. . my galant have only one airbag(only on the steering wheel) now gone. . or try to find onother one with airbag in it. . ill try to post pic. . for your violent reaction. . . tnx
    PEACE. . .

First i hope this will give a basis to SHOWTIME how to install/replace steering wheel if he wishes to. . .

The Reason for replacing (stock steering wheel about to crumble. . you can feel it twisting when you steer. . (the outer rubber and the steel rim separated)

The Stock and the Replacement (Looks)

The obstacle. . the horn and ABS connector . . not the same as the standard conn. .

the surgery . . take off the back plate/connector

take off the plate. . (i dont know how its called)

cut the plastic back. . (at first i tried not to cut the back coz it just touch the stock connector assembly. . but when i tried it for a spin. . its quite hard to steer coz its rubbing the connector assembly. . . so i cut it completely. . now no problem. . )

Cut the steering wheel lower plate (ouch. . ) and reshape the back steel plate to accomodate the stock connector. .

re-assemble. . .

install. . . (the connector clears the steel back plate) the black wire connects to the horn switch. . the yellow wire not connected. . i just tuck it inside (if i decided to install back the original steering wheel. . the ABS connector still there)

final look. . .

that's it guys. .
    Maybe it will stay there till i find another steering wheel(with abs). . comments? . . tnx. . .
    Last edited by rpjimeno; 10-16-2010 at 11:47 PM
    PEACE. . .

nice man
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

that's +1. . tnx. .
    PEACE. . .

The airbag has 2 wires and works on resistance, if you test the resistance between the terminals on your old steering wheel's airbag then you can use a resistor inline on the the car side to mimic the airbag effectively making the car think it's there.
    you will still have to reset the light.
    Sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

OK nice. . ill try that these weekend. . tnx!
    PEACE. . .

how do you lock the steering wheel? i am having trouble getting the old wheel off!

tap it slightly with a mallet from behind in a few different spots and it should become lose.

of course you have to remove the air bag and the nut in the center first
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

yeah i removed the bolts, got it eventually it just needed some motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    yeah i removed the bolts, got it eventually it just needed some motivation.
    +1
    PEACE. . .

Was replacing this with a 3g eclipse steering wheel just remove old and reconnect with same bolts and wiring?

yeah, should plug right in to the air bag connection and bolt it back up.

I'm looking for a 3g wheel that's not corroded on craigslist.. how much did you pay for your 3g wheel? Did you lose any functionally from swapping (cruise control.. etc..)? Do you have any pictures :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast