The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clutch pedal adjustment help

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Clutch pedal adjustment help

So my clutch pedal dis-adjusts itself (spelling?), basically I adjust the master cylinder and lock everything with the nut, it feels great for a couple of days and then it start to engage higher and higher until it feels like shit and shifting is somewhat hard, has happened to me since the swap. Nothing is leaking fluid.

Has this happened to anyone?

Air on the lines?

Replace Master cylinder? Slave cylinder? What brand: Rockauto sells ACDelco, Aisin, Exedy, brute power, sachs?

Hope someone can help thanks in advance.
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 03-29-2012 at 11:17 PM

4g64T 5spd

Where is said nut?
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

It happened to me once. I think i had it right at the tip i just screwed it a little more and tighten it real tight. Hasnt happened since.

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    Where is said nut?
    Its the locking nut for the master cylinder push rod

Quote Originally Posted by jojo03 View Post
    It happened to me once. I think i had it right at the tip i just screwed it a little more and tighten it real tight. Hasnt happened since.
    In my case its screwed all the way, maybe I need an extended clutch pushrod: http://speed-source.net/?wpsc-produc...clutch-pushrod

Its weird since its screwed all the way in and tightened by the locking nut but still after a couple of days it disengages higher

4g64T 5spd

Thats the rod goes into the slave cylinder though not the clutch master cylinder.

You do need a longer push rod, but try looking at your fork pivot ball and adjust that out so you have 2 or 3 washers under that, and then adjust your clutch pedal.

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

I dont think it would be coming off because of the push rod. Hhhmmmm. Was the master cylinder new or used?

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    You do need a longer push rod, but try looking at your fork pivot ball and adjust that out so you have 2 or 3 washers under that, and then adjust your clutch pedal.
    Aaaaahh. I didnt know that. If it happens to me again now i know what to do.

i would try to bleed it again, even though its a short run people have hard time bleeding it. make sure your using brake fluid.

maybe some second hand parts are failing on you, which clutch and flywheel are you using?

heres a video on how to properly adjust your clutch pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJxQyjIhUw

Oem 3g flywheel
    New Exedy oem replacement

The master and slave where used, so I know I should change them.

What brand should I get, the masters range from $18- $80, and slaves from $8-$50. Oem would be around $200 for both.

That was a awesome video, Right now the bracket thingy is screwed all the way in and its higher already, I'm thinking the Slave is sucking air in or something.

Also can the pushrod be adjusted attached to the pedal? I always detach it and adjust it.

Thanks for all the answers guys

4g64T 5spd

im sure an aftermarket brand should be fine but me personaly i almost always stick with oem but price is always a deciding factor, its up to you.

it is easier to spin the rod with pedal disconnected but you can do it with it connected but youll need either a very small open ened wrench to grab the hex part of the rod (i forget what size) or a small pair of channel locks or visegrips. jiggle the pedal with one hand while you turn the rod, should make it easier.

its a hard spot to get your head and hands into so be patient.

gl

Oem Master cylinder and Aisin(made in Japan) slave on their way!!

4g64T 5spd

XD_01, great video. In fact that is the video that saved me from pulling my trans right after I finished my first 5-spd swap. After I did the swap I could not figure out WTF was wrong with my car and was sure it had to be a bad trans/clutch/master cylinder/etc. Finding the link to that video on TGC is what finally prompted me to become a patron in appreciation of not having to pull the trans.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Yeah if your using 3g stuff you shouldnt need a longer push rod. Its most likely a bad slave cylinder, a leaky fitting on the line or just air in the line. A trick is to use some Motul brake fluid as your clutch fluid, since the brake fluid is colored, its easier to see when the new fluid make it down to the slave to be sure that the line is fully bled.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS