The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Strut bar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 46
    Ah ok, Thanks guys :)

Ill stick with the front lol.
    Im not too much into custom fabbing, my neighbor may be able to pull it off for me but I dont wanna really delve into that atm.

I personally like the DC strut bar.

Why is the Megan STB adjustable? Maybe I am missing something but isn't the pont of a STB to add stability?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
    Why is the Megan STB adjustable? Maybe I am missing something but isn't the pont of a STB to add stability?
    I think it is for preloading the tension or spreading force. It you run really sticky tires (Yokohama A008, 1987 CRX SI) it will offset a lot of the lateral load on the towers.
    I went with the cheesy bar style for looks.

Works so well I can drive on the ceiling.
    Last edited by FooseGalant; 05-01-2015 at 05:49 PM Reason: OPPS

The Megan bar is adjustable because it's a universal application part. That way they can make one bar to fit multiple vehicles, whether it be a Galant, Civic, Sentra, etc.

It keeps the manufacturing costs down.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    The Megan bar is adjustable because it's a universal application part. That way they can make one bar to fit multiple vehicles, whether it be a Galant, Civic, Sentra, etc.

It keeps the manufacturing costs down.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification M-Rod. Now with that being said, does the universal/adjustable nature of the product limit its ability to perform the function of an effective STB? Since the part is secured to the vehicle at both ends wouldn't that keep the overall length of the STB the same under all driving conditions providing the desired increased stability that we all want from a STB?

It does affect the ability to perform. The bolt on each end of the bar acts as a pivot point, rendering the bar useless. The best option is the OEM 3G Eclipse strut tower bar. By design, it does not allow for any pivot points.

So will an aftermarket 3G Eclipse STB work? Or does it have to be OEM?

Yes. Aftermarket will work. Just avoid the Megan type (as discussed...it's useless).

DC makes a great one or Carbing if you got the money:
    http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...dCategory=1393

Remember, you want a Front Upper... the rear ones do not work for Galants

I'll let others chime in, but coulda swore if you have a v6 you have less clearance for STB over the motor. I got an oem 3g and said done deal..no regrets

Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    I'll let others chime in, but coulda swore if you have a v6 you have less clearance for STB over the motor. I got an oem 3g and said done deal..no regrets
    So I'm assuming that you have the I4, can anyone else shed some light on this. How much did you pay for the oem 3g, and did you get it from a salvage yard?

- oem 3g STB run about $25 at the scrap yard.
    - DC STB will only fit i4 due to EGR clearance
    - Carbing is the best STB for our i4 and v6
    - Meagan STB sux arse

No my car is V6. I forgot the price I paid, but definitely no more than $50. Me knowing me, I would have left it if it was more and look for something aftermarket and more "fancy" lol. But yeah I got it at a yard.

well since the thread got drug up again...anyone know what will fit a 6g72 with the 6g74 manifold? with/without EGR

I haven't looked into them much but new that the megan was crap lol. entirely for looks, but when I get one I want something that looks better than the crappy oem eclipse one. was looking into the DC but with what pete said im a little nervous now lol

I know the carbing works with v6 + 74 mani, seen pictures of BJ with it when he was in tunerzine

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Carbing is a waste. It does nothing more than a stock 3G bar except that it costs 10 times as much.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    Carbing is a waste. It does nothing more than a stock 3G bar except that it costs 10 times as much.
    Sure it does. The Carbing has a master cylinder stopper. It was supposed to help with improved brake pedal feel and quicker pedal response.

Key words: Supposed to.

Although the firewall is fairly thin, I highly doubt it flexes, thus negating the need for a master cylinder stopper. Especially since those of us who actually run on the track, do not use the Carbing bar.

As someone who had the the 3G bar for years and now has the Carbing, here's my take on this.

Both will fit a 74 mani.

3G bar is the best bang for the buck. It ran me under $100 from the dealer brand new back in the day, and it is as solid as it gets.

All that said, I actually prefer the feel from the Carbing bar. It seems to work better with the other pieces for me (coilovers, swaybar, endlinks). You would think a strut bar is a strut bar (as long as it is not from Megan) but it is different. No sane person should spend $400 on a strut bar however, that is probably why you don't see it on the track too often, it's just not money well spent. Sure as heck looks a lot better in the engine bay than the 3g bar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast