The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: hahaha... awesome...

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

hahaha... awesome...

So i Took the 8g out today to get some air to be cleaned and to run for a bit. I drove it around the block got back and it was smoking a bit.. I mean.. I always knew it used to smoke but i thought it was just because of all the dirt in there, and the fact i spilled a bit of oil on it while doing an oil change but i said it woulda stopped by now... so i take a deeper look... and smoke is coming from a general Direction but I'm Actually also seeing... Bubling liquid... i'm assuming its oil? Idk. I'm not very Mechanically informed. I'm more of a cosmetic guy. Bodywork, etc. But i have friends who can help me out to do something if necessary. I'm not affraid to learn and get my hands dirty.. I bought the haynes so i will be looking through that.. but in the mean time I'm uploading a video for you guys to let me know what you think.. When I bought the car all i was told was that it needed, a radiator and a transmission. I though the car needed power steering, but i drove it today and it was fine.. I geus it was acting weird because of the tires being so freakn Flat..

but other than the fact that this car needs a lot of work.. it still looks pretty.... ?
    Last edited by bobmundo123; 04-20-2011 at 03:43 PM

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Your Valve cover gaskets are probably leaking, but it seems like thats a lot. How often do you check your oil ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    Your Valve cover gaskets are probably leaking, but it seems like thats a lot. How often do you check your oil ?
    Since i Got the car, When i parked it in the garage, it was leaking so i cleaned it up, did an oil change with brand new oild and filter, Ever Since then No leaks. But I haven't checked since then. I'm assuming the oil is just burning then evaporating then. You think this is an easy fix?

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

seems to me the dexel is not tight ( the thing you put in between is finished ) not sure of the english name for it sorry.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    gasket... it looks like the smoke is coming from the valve cover, try changing the valve cover gaskets and spark plug gaskets, and while you have the manifold off i would change the plugs as well so you wont have to do it for a while.....see if that helps some. if not then there is definitely a much bigger problem. but its hard to really tell even with a video.

fatal1 said it best. Though it may be only your front valve cover gasket, pull the plenum off and do both as well as spark plug tube seals, spark plugs, and wires. It's a fairly easy fix and shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours if it's your first time removing the plenum.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

aright, im gonna take a look into the haynes book for it.... how much u figure for parts? what should my shopping list be?

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

change the gasket when the engine is cold and replace the gasket. Idle or drive around the block and then tighten the same screws again since the alu-head and valve cover expand when they get warm... had the same problem when I replaced my gasket... oil was everywhere and when I replaced it... asked a friend about it and he said did you tighten'em up while the engine was warm...
    Thomas R aka Valpen
    --------------------
    CEO & Eventmanager
    Mitsubishi Club Sweden

Former New yorker....
    94-10 60th Ave
    113 73 Elmhurst, NY
    School PS13 - then moved to Europe

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmundo123 View Post
    aright, im gonna take a look into the haynes book for it.... how much u figure for parts? what should my shopping list be?
    Spark plug tube seal set ~ 35-45$
    Spark Plug Wires ~ 45$-65$
    Spark Plugs NGK Plats ~ 6-8$ each
    Valve cover gasket ~ 20-30$

These prices are all on the lowest and highest after market parts. Does not include any discounts or OEM parts. Hope this helps.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

Like most of them said it looks like the valve cover gasket is going or the cover has loosen some. Which loosening of the covers is not uncommon. Before replacing the gaskets make sure the cover is tighten down properly. Then clean things up, give it about a week and check it again for fluid.

Also in the video you posted i noticed you have somewhat of a bad crack on the radiator. Get that fixed very soon before one day you have no coolent left. Or the top might even blow off of it.

P.S. that might not even be oil leaking from the cover. With such a crack on the radiator it could be coolent that has splash onto the engine and set its self down onto the motor.