The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Money Pit!

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Showing results 321 to 340 of 710
    only the best!

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    Yes I'm just going to freehand a couple axle bracket holes in grey cast iron with a corded drill and a squirt bottle of cutting oil. Might as well dremel my heads out while they're on the motor at the same time.

I love this car, and envy your cage. If you really think you're going to drill and tap cast iron you're either nuts or you have some extremely extremely expensive consumer tools...
    A good drill press and some careful attention to detail and it works just fine. For the turbo Volvo's we drill out the oil feed for the turbo and tap the block regularly. Also if a factory style drain is desired the block has to be drilled yet again.

Obviously being careful and using the right tools makes all the difference.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

What's the benefit of that axle swap?? Obviously reduce or eliminate torque steer. But how does it work?? I'm just curious to under the way it works. Loving your project man. I'd hate to have a gutter car but that's just me lol

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Double post
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Axle shafts of equal length create equal pressure on the knuckle which balances them under acceleration.

Pretty much what he said, the side with the shorter axle gets the most torque which is the driver side for us. At the track under hard acceleration the car mostly pulls to the left with some tendencies to go right which makes passing dangerous. I have to manage the throttle in order to avoid contact with slower traffic, hopefully this helps.

heres a write up I found on it

http://www.aa1car.com/library/torque_steer.htm

This thread deserves its title because i see a lot of money going into this

You will enjoy the equal length axle setup, as I enjoy mines on my 7G.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    great work, love the cage and great choice in harness.
    Any chance you could list he part numbers you used for the axle swap?
    MR953479

Bolts should be M10 x 1.25 x 40mm(L)
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

^^^^That's what Im hoping for, did you notice a big improvement?

Finally got to the garage garage Wednesday night, we had like 5-8 inches of snow fall in are area Monday. So here are the part numbers....

3817A008 Bracket kit
    MR145574 Cover, Fr
    MR953479 Shaft, Fr
    MB526617 Cover, Fr
    MB837241 Bolt, Fr (order 2)
    MF450406 Washer (order2)
    MB526680 Dust seal (This actually comes in the Bracket kit and I ordered it not knowing so now I have spare seal which I never a bad thing)
    MR111742 Clip, Fr

My total cost was 229.00 plus a axle from NAPA for 70.00 + a 55.00 core charge.

Make sure to check your block and see if your bosses are drilled and tapped before your order anything!

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    ^^^^That's what Im hoping for, did you notice a big improvement?

Finally got to the garage garage Wednesday night, we had like 5-8 inches of snow fall in are area Monday. So here are the part numbers....

3817A008 Bracket kit
    MR145574 Cover, Fr
    MR953479 Shaft, Fr
    MB526617 Cover, Fr
    MB837241 Bolt, Fr (order 2)
    MF450406 Washer (order2)
    MB526680 Dust seal (This actually comes in the Bracket kit and I ordered it not knowing so now I have spare seal which I never a bad thing)
    MR111742 Clip, Fr

My total cost was 229.00 plus a axle from NAPA for 70.00 + a 55.00 core charge.

Make sure to check your block and see if your bosses are drilled and tapped before your order anything!
    Oh yes there is a noticeable difference especially in steering and acceleration.

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Wow man, a lot of that is outside my realm of understanding, but I get the gist. Good job. So how deep is the money pit as of now? 15k, 20k?
    GaB

Who knows I don't keep track but it probably close to that in the past 10 or 12 years.

Yesterday morning I brought the car to the dyno and unloaded it off the trailer, put it 1st gear to drive it up to the shop and the shifter cable snaps off at the selector lever. I probably shouldve of been pissed off but I wasn't. I was actually happy that it happened there where I had help instead of by myself back at the garage loading the car on a busy street. Theres no way I could've pushed it back up the alley to the garage by myself. Im also glad it didn't happen at the track in 2 weeks otherwise we would've wasted 10 hours of driving round trip with a 10 month old and 2 year old which any of you with toddlers know what that's like lol. Not mention wasted track fees and hotel stay.

Car should be ready this week but in light of the unexpected situation Im gonna skip the first event to save some money. Its also cutting it close time wise, I still have to bleed the brakes again, add the roll bar padding and now Im losing about a week with the car. So Ill be patient and sign up for the april event which is at Summit Point and is only 60 miles away.
    Last edited by xd_01; 03-09-2014 at 10:19 AM

That is weird to see those break, worst I've had is the shifter base pulled out of the rubber bushings and I punched the dashboard, lol. Decided at that point I needed to work on shifting more softly.

It's always disappointing to get out to the track and not even get a lap in before something breaks. Make it just far enough for nothing to be refundable but not far enough to make it worth it. Which track where you gonna run at?

Virginia International Raceway its right on the border of N.C.

Heres my monthly update. After the shop fixed the shifter cable they took it out for a test drive and noticed the boost was acting weird. They put it on the dyno to see what was going on and after some testing they found the problem. The wastegate, the o-ring on the valve under the under the diaphragm had way to much play. We couldn't find a replacement anywhere and unfortunately the wastegate I have is a 1st gen MV-S so it made it even harder to find. Tial doesn't list a customer service number on there website so they had to email instead but they didn't respond for 3 days.

At this point the car has been there for like 3 weeks and my time frame to the next event and its slowly creeping up so Im like fuck it, get me a new one and be done with it. So after all that is all squared away it goes on the dyno makes 400hp/400tq but now I have a another problem. The turbo is smoking, so I pick up the car and get to the garage and start pulling the turbo the next day. Of course I ran into some problems like snapping 2 ARP bolts that fasten the turbo adapter plate to the exhaust manifold. If that's not enough as one of them snapped my hand flew into the cam sensor and snapped that too. Luckily I had another one.

Turns out the bearings where on there way out due to hot shut downs, lesson learned. So now Im just waiting for my turbo to show up that was shipped out Wednesday morning and Im also waiting on the new adapter plate. Im trying to make this next event which is one week but its not looking so good. I still have work to do but no parts and very little time.

nuff talk

how it sits now

parts that should be in the car

off to Precision

heres the adapter plate with the 2 ARP bolts snapped off, one clean off and the other showing about 2''s of bolt.

I heated it up to almost 500 degrees (I have a laser thermometer) and used my pipe wrench from work to twist out the bolt that had 2''s sticking out.

drilled hole for easy-out

heated it up again to almost 500 degrees and snapped it.

Snapped shifter cable

and did I mention the cotter pin on the driver side axle snapped on the dyno, Im still trying to figure out this one

but on the bright side I got the roll bar padding done, even that was a pain in the ass

I've seen a lot of bad luck with Precision turbos. Decent numbers are far as output but terrible longevity whether they're on street machines or race.

I can't believe you snapped an axle on the dyno. What exactly was happening when it broke? Spool up? Sustained torque? I've only seen one snap under a driveline load spike ei shifting or launch but never from just raw torque.

dude! you're snapping to much crap. hurry up and get it fixed I wanna see this on the road! :)

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Lol i know this is getting to be too much, and no I didnt snap an axle lol dont even jinx me. The axle nut moved on the dyno and snapped the cotter pin. Looks like Ill be putting paint marks on the axle end and nut to check for movement. I do that with my adjustable cam bolts too.
    Last edited by xd_01; 04-17-2014 at 11:20 AM

this thing is registered and road worthy?

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast