The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Money Pit!

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Showing results 381 to 400 of 710
    Yea I totally understand that but really with the 6 point roll cage along with foot well bars this car is pretty solid so if any reinforcing needs to be done its very little. I do expect to have to cut a trans tunnel but for some reason I think the driveshaft can use the existing exhaust tunnel like the awd swaps so cutting the car down the middle probably wont be needed. After all the 4cyl. with a small bell housing is much smaller compared to a big LS motor and bell housing so if the 4g64 needs to be set a little lower to clear the exhaust tunnel it may not be problem.
    Last edited by xd_01; 05-23-2014 at 08:11 PM

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    I've heard of people doing that sort of conversion but if we're to do it I would turn the engine 90 degrees like you said and cut the firewall to recess the engine a little for better COG. I would also use the 2g GSX rear subframe everyone is using for the awd swaps along with upgraded evo diff, DSS axles, and anything available that would help hold the power. I've also considered a fuel cell instead of the stock 2g tank too cause at that point, we'll why not right lol. The only thing left to figure out would be the steering rack and front suspension. I've heard of the DSM guys that do this swap use a 240sx steering rack but I would leave that task up to fab shop that did my cage. The only work I would do myself would be installing rear subframe and drivetrain, everything else I would have the fab shop that did my cage do the rest since all that chassis work is beyond my capability. This would put me in the Unlimited class for sure but who cares, I do this sh!t for fun! I'm not really planning on running TT all the time anyway.

I'm familiar with the evo trans fwd conversion your talking about, Stewi did this a while ago also and it was expensive so that is what I'm considering at the moment if my trans fails again. But really at almost 3k invested in that swap I would rather invest the money in what I really want to do which is the RWD swap. The only other major obstacle would be the downtime in the off season and of course my wife lol.

Thanks for the video Kyle
    i actually ended up buying Brian's forged diff tube/welded diff from him, swapped his modified subframe for my stock one, gave an evo8 transmission to Gary at mitsu graveyard and pretty much forgot about it. Aparently Gary told me i needed over $1000 in synchros and brass rings and whatnot and quite frankly i didnt feel like spending any more money in a transmission where im just gonna run fwd for now. So right now the trans (as far as my knowledge) is still at Garys and havent spoken to him in 2 years. Literally over $2000 in parts and stupid me neglected it. i obv wasnt ready for that project and if i were you id just go awd. or build up the evo since youre actually tracking this thing. if you know Gary or know anybody hat has his number give him a call and see if you want my setup for cheap. obv youd have to put the correct stuff to make it work properly but hey its worth a shot.

Unexpected car trouble is always the worst, but on a brigther note made a good impression passing that porsche at 0:39

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

The reason the tunnel needed cut is because with most rwd manual transmissions the input shaft and the output shaft are on the same plane, and the countershaft hangs out just beneath. This means that the output flange is somewhat high up, its not so much a matter of the gearbox size when dealing with a 4 cyl vs 8 cyl its the size of the gearbox and the height from the bottom of the box to the top of the drive flange.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

^I guess those are one of the many things to sort out but it can be done right lol gotta think positive,,,, and yea the 944 was easy to past, I don't know why he was so slow all day those guys are usually quick.

So I heard back from the shop and the tranny is history including the case with the exception of the gearset minus a toasted 4th gear and the diff is fine which is awesome. So there gonna transfer the diff to the spare which is in good condition and they said to pickup another tranny for $200 and be ready for the next one lol. I was naïve to think this tranny could hold up to the power and abuse levels I need it for. What I do know is I covered a little over 1k track miles last season going to my last 3 track days this year so as I get faster this year it could break on me sooner. I don't know if that assumption is correct but if its is I should probably take it easy out there up until the tail end of the season.

Also if the tranny is destine to grenade with this abuse then next off season I will probably go the evo tranny fwd configuration next off season, this seems to be the quickest and cheapest solution. The rwd and awd swap are still considerable though it all depends on my situation.

When I get everything back Saturday Ill share some pics of the carnage, I haven't even seen yet myself.

Good to know it wasn't the diff.

Your trans shop seems to know what they're doing. Why not try getting the gearset cryoed once? Makes a huge difference for the Subie guys and a lot of others too. Doesn't help bearing failure but that doesn't seem to be your recurring problem.

Thats a good idea depending on the cost. Im gonna look into some estimates, thanks

If cryoing the gearset works bearing failure is generally not very sudden so that would make things easier. Have 2 boxes ready to go and just refresh the bearings every so often.

Judging by the fact that you are over double my horsepower output I'm guessing issues will arise much faster. However, I've found that if I rebuild my gearbox every other season I avoid some of the problems I used to have, its pretty cheap and easy, its just gotta be shimmed right.

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    Also if the tranny is destine to grenade with this abuse then next off season I will probably go the evo tranny fwd configuration next off season, this seems to be the quickest and cheapest solution. The rwd and awd swap are still considerable though it all depends on my situation.
    dont forget about what i said about my trans. idk if you know Gary from mitsu graveyard but i know Brian does. im sure he could hook you up with his number.

I got his number, thanks.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

So would you say the lancer axle eliminated the torque steer? Everything working like factory with that axle? I'm picking one up tomorrow and I'd like to know your impression so far of the axle mod, thanks in advance.

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    So would you say the lancer axle eliminated the torque steer? Everything working like factory with that axle? I'm picking one up tomorrow and I'd like to know your impression so far of the axle mod, thanks in advance.
    As for me it reduce torque steer and improve steering. Since he use the equal length setup plus LSD, it probably eliminated. But I'm NA and his is boosted so thats another difference.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Yea it made a difference, I would definetly recomend it!!

So I got the spare trans back from the shop this week and got it back in the car 2 days ago. I really hate trying to line up a trans by myself, I practically went cross eyed trying to muscle this thing. After an hour I got it bolted up and the next 6 1/2 hours was putting the car back together, I may be slow but Im a union pipefitter and that's how we roll lol.

The report of the damage is 4th gear was destroyed and a cracked case. I looked into to getting the gearset cryo'd and its $3.50 a pound with a minimum of $100/28.5 lbs so Im gonna give that try, its cheap enough for me to explore that option before I consider the Evo trans.

4th gear

Whats left over

Where leaving for Summit Point this afternoon for the weekend, they throw this special event once a year called Hyperfest that runs along with are track weekend. Its really cool actually its the one time a year when we have an actual audience, makes you feel like a big shot lol. Only down side is there some many people that its hard to get around outside the paddock. I know its short notice but If anyone is interested fighting the crowds heres the info

http://hyper-fest.com/
    Last edited by xd_01; 06-06-2014 at 07:58 AM

Sweet dude! Glad you didn't blow the diff. Suck the gearbox shredded though.

I'm seriously jealous at how much time you get on the track.

If you need any help finding another box let me know. I have some friends in lkq that get parts super cheap from all over.

Holy shit Bryant, those gears got annhialated!!!! (sp?)
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Thanks for the offer, yea the east coast has lots of tracks so theres always something going.

Technically the midwest has a bunch of tracks, but they are impossibly spread apart. The closest one to me is 3 hours away, beyond that 4-6 hours and more. I'd love to be in an area that has multiple tracks that operate almost year round.

The closest one to me is 1 & 1/2 hrs away thankfully but the furthest Ive been to is VIR which took us 6 hrs. There so many up and down the east coast like CMP, Road Atlanta, Roebling, Daytona, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and would love to hit them all eventually, that's my long term goal atleast.

So this weekend was better then my jersey weekend but it still had its little problems here and there. The kids were acting wild so that didn't make things any easier lol. The car did fine as far as I know, I did get a big pop out of the exhaust when I was coming through turn 10 which is a very high speed right hander. Most likely a fuel starvation issue from a low fuel tank which has happened before, this need to be addressed if it keeps happening. My oil psi has been reading much lower at the Accusump also, I don't know the reason yet but it the oil maybe getting too hot, at WOT Im reading about 20 psi at the head from gauge on the dash but after a session Im at 40 psi at the Accusump which is tapped into the filter housing bracket. Not showing any leaks neither.

I don't remember it getting so low from last year but Im running faster now then I did then. Either way Im do for an oil change now, believe it or not I change my oil every 500 to 700 track miles. Im using Amsoil dominator which is basically a racing oil and my car takes about 9qts between oil cooler, wet sump oil pan and the Accusump. I just order a case of 12 at a time which cost around $150.

I also managed to shave 4 seconds off my best lap from my last time at Summit Point, I don't know how or where but Im very happy about it. Hopefully I can shave off another few when go back.

heres a video, I do go off at the end of the video cuz I locked up my breaks. After looking at the video I probably could've turn-in safely but at the moment I felt like I might of slid into the car ahead of me or just into into the gravel so I played it safe.

and heres some of the kids having fun

Last edited by xd_01; 06-12-2014 at 11:09 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    Damn dood, that's some AWSOME driving. Looks like fun.

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast