The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Money Pit!

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Showing results 421 to 440 of 710

The Money Pit!

U need to know you spring rate in EBC. Lets say if you have a 10 psi spring you need to set on ebc to about 7-8. U cant put or set to 10 because u will have boost spike big time.

Coolant line not need it. Dont help with cold start. Pcm set idle to 1500-2k for warm up. If you having warm start problem you need to mess with the injector adder not to dump so much fuel at crank. Depending of your injectors cc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Isaurio; 08-19-2014 at 10:29 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Yea kyle I was offered to borrow a wastegate but I didn't want to damage it in case the manifold design is indeed overheating wastegate. That's the great thing about paddocks though, everyone is eager to help, even people racing against each other.

I wasn't pissed though for some reason just disappointed, I mean I even considered a spec e30 rental and I was offered an TT Evo8 at the last minute but I backed out. Its a tough spot either lose money or spend more money not to lose money. Either way its not the end of the world and like my wife said everything happens for a reason. She was actually more worried about me using a car that I didn't prep myself (like Im some kind of pro LOL), but thats mostly the reason why I backed out lol.

I haven't thought about knocking the boost down, Im pretty comfortable with the car now and I wouldn't be happy not having less power. Im gonna try to work on this issue and possibly a newer more updated manifold in the near future. Possibly buy a back-up wastegate, I know it sounds dumb after how bad I said Tial's customer service is but its a quick fix and cheaper then a track car rental just to get some seat time.

and yes the radiator cap still remains the highest point.

I hope you do sign up for that event gearhead, Ive never tried autocross so I cant really compare the two but its a lot of fun once you get the hang of it and Im sure you with your experience would pick it up quick.

Maybe next time I drain the coolant Ill loop the t/b lines. Thanks

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

I didn't know if backing off the power slightly would keep heat down, I know you also had the issue with the gearbox breakage, so backing off a little might get you more seat time with less issue's to distract you from improving as a driver. I know one event I had an issue with the crank sensor wiring on my car during my second run, so I had to fix it in my 5 minute technical and struggling to get that done kind of threw me off for the rest of the day.

I like running different cars, getting a feel for what others like in a vehicles performance and such. I'd like to one day be able to get in anything and be comfortable close to or at the cars limits. Its certainly not fun to be thrown in a totally unfamiliar chassis and be given a pace to hold, its just too steep of a learning curve to pick up without a little orientation.

You should go to a couple autocross events, it makes you drive much quicker than a road course. You don't have as much set up time and you have to learn the cars limits on the course very quickly since you only have a few runs and the course is always different. I know some don't like it as much as a full course, but I feel like it gives you many skills that are transferable and advantageous to being a serious competitor on a road course. I know a number of the guys I race autocross with also run road courses and they always point out that autocross gives sharpened reactions that have kept them out of the wall or their competitors at road racing events.

I've taken my Galant out on Heartland Parks 2.1 mile course, and it was a blast, very relaxed compared to autocross in the sense of how often I had to change direction, but the increased speed made it much more hair raising in the corners. That was on an old set up though, I'd like to get a bit more power out of it before I do Hallett, but when the offer comes I'm going to take it either way.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You make a valid point on lowering the HP but Im not ready to turn down the boost yet. Well see how the rest of the season goes and then Ill make a decision then. I just picked up the car today and they gave me more info on the situation and there actually going against what Tial said and saying the part was defective. They don't understand how that could happen with only 4 hrs of usage. Well see.

Ive only driven two cars on track, my 330i and the galant. Two totally different cars but I loved them both, the only difference was the one car pushes you around the track and the other pulls you.

Honestly I will probably never do any auto-x, Ive visited a couple of SCCA events over here at FedEx before I started track days and I liked what I saw then I did a track day and I was hooked.

Its just a thought, if you only got 4 hours of use out of that wastegate than it was probably defective out of the box, unless you are dealing with a lot of heat, but you look like you have everything wrapped and shielded appropriately.

I'm scared to drive my Volvo on the track, its about the total opposite of the way I've built the Galant. The 185/70/14's just don't grip well at its power level, add in stock suspension and its a handful on 20 lbs, where as the Galant is pretty much only suspension and handling mods.

Road courses are a blast, don't get me wrong, but autocross will make you quicker as a driver and sharpen your reflexes for when the back end steps out, or someone starts to lose it in front of you. It is for those reasons that I believe a good road racer should spend at least a little time with autocross.

So we've been in are new house for almost 4 weeks now and we still haven't unpacked everything, but who who cares cause the garage is in full swing lol. I don't have much room but Im making it work. Future plans are an air compressor and a mig welder for now but besides that I have everything I need to keep the car running.

Ill be headed to VIR next Friday night for the weekend, hopefully I have better luck this time. Come to think of it though it always rains there so It always gamble.

^^^ Congrats on the new place. I too have been moved from an apartment to a house and still haven't unpacked everything. Move went down on labor day weekend.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

If you go for a wire feeder, try and find one that is compatible with a spool gun, the gun alone is a grand from Miller but the ability to MIG aluminum is pretty freakin awesome.

Garage looks good man, you should also look into a plasma on down the line, they are soooooo handy.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    If you go for a wire feeder, try and find one that is compatible with a spool gun, the gun alone is a grand from Miller but the ability to MIG aluminum is pretty freakin awesome.

Garage looks good man, you should also look into a plasma on down the line, they are soooooo handy.
    Mig welding aluminum with a spool gun is HORIBLE, it down right sucks. I have the 180C by Lincoln and I like it i guess, but for the spool gun capability it sucks. and $1k for a mig thats is capable of doing aluminum is only $500 off from some pretty good entry tig welders. If I had to buy a welder again, I would get a tig welder. Way cleaner IMO ( aka doesn't spatter at all and alot more control)

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    ^^^ Congrats on the new place. I too have been moved from an apartment to a house and still haven't unpacked everything. Move went down on labor day weekend.

Thats funny we moved the same weekend, sh!t sucked lol. I still miss my aprtment though but ohwell.

As far as the welder Im gonna go for the lincoln 145, it gets a real get review for the home hobbiest which is
    right up my alley. Im not to worried about welding aluminum just yet but later on I will get some combination
    tig/ stick welder. Stewi has one and has been doing some amazing things with it.

Haha I don't miss my apartment one bit.

It was our cozy first place and we made some nice memories. But other than that very happy to be out, no bad experiences or bad neighbors or anything, I just couldn't tinker with cars. Still can't since the garage is full of things that need to be unpacked/thrown out or just plain given away.

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    Mig welding aluminum with a spool gun is HORIBLE, it down right sucks. I have the 180C by Lincoln and I like it i guess, but for the spool gun capability it sucks. and $1k for a mig thats is capable of doing aluminum is only $500 off from some pretty good entry tig welders. If I had to buy a welder again, I would get a tig welder. Way cleaner IMO ( aka doesn't spatter at all and alot more control)
    You sure you had the current set on AC? The Miller spool guns I've used have been pretty fantastic, the only issue is fitting them into tighter spaces. I like the control of TIG, but it just takes too much time when you have to do big long welds, or lots of welds.

There is lots of killer equipment out there, just gotta find what works what's best for you.

So I cant complain too much about last weekend. The event schedule changed on me last minute so instead of me leaving Friday night I left early Saturday morning thinking I wasn't supposed to grid till noon but I missed the morning session due to schedule change. All together I only had 3 sessions on Saturday, Sunday they didn't have us gridding till 12:30 and that was way too late for me since I have a 5hr drive home and need to get back at a decent time so that was out the window.

On the good side the car behaved and I got some quality seat time. I did manage to put 4 off twice in the 2nd session which was kind of scary since its kinda of the first time I did that NOT on purpose, fear of over correcting a steering input caused this but looking at the video I probably could've corrected without failure. Either way this is the sorta thing I have to learn by mistake, Im still a newby and VIR is a very fast and long track and I cant wait till next year to shave off some seconds off my lap time!

1st session
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc9N...m-upload_owner

damage control:
    inspected the car once it got home and noticed the turbo blanket had a hole burnt through, once I got it off I found the 2 front bolts of the turbo flange had backed out and were just laying in the blanket. I rocked the turbo up and down and didn't budge which is probably a good thing but when I go to install new bolts this weekend Im gonna stick a feeler gauge in there to see what I was dealing with. Not that its gonna fix the problem but I wanna see how much of gap there was.

Also driver side axle is making a lot of noise during slow turning so I ordered one from Rock Auto yesterday afternoon and showed up this afternoon, I was pretty amazed since I did ground shipping, thumbs up to Rock Auto!!

The bolts

VIR

end of the day

1st car wash of the year last weekend

Last event for me this year is November 8-9 at Summit point West VA. I had high hopes for making it to Road Atlanta and Daytona this year but it will have to wait next year. If anyone is interested in coming out for the Fall Finale event hit me up, if you sign up soon you can get on track for one session for $50 to get your feet wet or free if you just wanna spectate and hang out.
    Last edited by xd_01; 10-09-2014 at 10:59 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    So jelly!! Looks like lots of fun. Did a track day on my street bike and that was intense. Giving you props boss. Good job!!!

^Good Looks Homie

So I know Ive been slacking on the thread, I guess Im just lazy when comes to updating but trust me I have been working on it. I haven't gotten as much done as I wanted but sometimes that's how it is when you got other things going on around the house.

Prior to my last event after I fixed all the other problems I discovered a water leak. It was coming from the coolant pipe, theres a bracket welded on that attaches to the block. Well it must have cracked while tightening the AN line and since I didn't have much time to replace it I decided to use JB weld. Well it didn't last more then a couple of sessions at the track lol. To make things worst I over heated the oil and the turbo was smoking. I decided to go for broke since it was the last weekend of the season and run it the next morning, it over heated immediately and pulled it back into the pits after 3-4 laps. Wouldve been earlier but I wasn't paying attention to the gauge lol.

You can see all the sloppy JB weld and the crack extending past

new one

Next I started to see how I could trim the engine harness, there are a few levels to this project and the first is to rid all the wires to the egr and auto tranny that I don't need any more.

here you can see where all the water was spraying from the coolant pipe

so little by little I thought I would just pull out the harness, luckily its super easy since I don't have any of the HVAC to block access

Theres more to show but Im tired, Ill add some more tomorrow. Thanks

I don't know if I have ever asked this. But what clutch master are you using??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

The master is from a 3g

It has a mounted reservoir on it??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast