The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Money Pit!

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Showing results 441 to 460 of 710
    No its the remote mounted one.

The way u mounted it made it look like it was part of it lol
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

yea the picture is a little deceiving.

So my goal with the engine harness is to delete unused wire, shorten it and eventually switch to evo 8 ecu connectors so I can get red of the boomslang connector that drives me crazy. I always think a pin is gonna break off with it me knowing everytime I handle it.

So far I finished deleting wires and successfully was able to turn the car back on, I always worry when doing wiring. Here some pics of the wires traced back to the ecu and dash plugs. I was able to release the pins using a small cotter pin and a sewing needle, sewing needle worked best but hurt the most. Some pins were pulled out to untangle the harness then re-pinned.

dash plug

I have no idea why this connector is in this location in the engine bay but its big and a pan in the ass when it comes to wrapping and shaping the harness so I cut it out.

This is was what was deleted.

Heres all the stripped electrical tape, zip ties and loom from the last time I tried to clean up the harness.

And heres the finished product.

This is the fuel injector side, I left it unfinished so I can fit it while on the engine. Firgured it would be better since its hard to pin point where all the connectors are gonna fall into place.

I am so jealous right now. I need to grow the balls and do this and clean up the rats nest in my bay. Did u already swap the ecu plugs to evo plugs??
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

I know what you mean, you just need a good plan, lots of time and patients, as many pin outs and diagrams available and not try to do too many projects at once. For example I want to delete, shorten, and convert to evo connectors. So far I deleted wires successfully, if I had done more then that and had an issue then it would be more difficult to fix. In my opinion atleast

Other tips I used are

Trace out wires and test with a multimeter for continuty (<spell check). Some wires like ground and power are spliced together in between both connectors and could throw you so watch out for that.

Label and write down EVERYTHING! I numbered everything so if I had to put something back It wouldnt be problem. This were having a pin out helps so you actually know what your removing. I even took pictures, then one above you see a connector end with a piece of tape with the number 245 on a pin location. I figured it would be faster then searching for the pin out I didnt have on the FSM or drawing it out.

I know I probaly went overboard but it started with no issues.

Blog Entries
    Great Job Well Done!

I know what u mean Bryant. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of the ability to remove my harness as easily as you so I would have to solely work in the bay on the whole thing.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Sorry about that, I forgot how big of a job pulling the harness.

No need to apologize for that. I figured two solid days should he enough to undo the whole harness and measure, cut, solder and route it.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Spdrcr, I made a mistake I do have the res. mounted on the master. I used have the remote one but I switched to this one, I lose track of what parts I have.

Next on the list was to add a fan switch, oil temp gauge, oil psi warning light, water temp warning light and I also added an extra toggle switch and push button circuit breaker for future use.

While I was removing the gauge panel one of the rivet nuts I used to fasten it to the center dash pulled out. The hole became to wide so another rivet wouldn't mushroom tight enough so I went to home depot and found some different style anchors that have tips that grab material. I guess there for wood so you wood just tap these in.

So I thread in the bolt and heated it up with a small torch while holding it with a pair of pliers and when it was hot enough I sunk it into the hole, twisted it slightly and the plastic melted around it. I was so happy it worked.

Next was to mount the oil cooler separate of the radiator. I had those zip ties that attached the cooler to the rad but they got old, one ripped and I didn't want t o have any issues with it tearing the fins so I decided to mount it independently. Heres the before...

This is about where I want it.

I needed to make some room so I cut off the inner skin.

Also heated up the area with some map gas to re-shape some metal for clearance.

Used this..

Little by little I shaped it..

Getting there..

Heres a little cut but that's from when I tried to fit JDM headlights a long time ago..

Polished up ready for primer..

Mocked up...

I was gonna enclose the rad but I was pressed for time so Ill put it on the elective project list.

Whats the circuit breaker for?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Its for the wideband, Im gonna start using these if I wire in a new device. I was gonna add one for the fan too but it involved to much wiring wich ment more time and I was running low on that.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

With rally cars they use nothing but self resetting circuit breakers since it allows them to make partial use of a circuit if a conjoined circuit has an issue. The goal is to make service, which on a road course means making pit. They have some with LED bypass that light up when the circuit points break so that its easier to pinpoint.

I wish I had the time to work on my car to your level, unfortunately customer projects come first and above all else I need seat time, so deleting AT wiring and other things will have to wait.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

That what sucks about working on cars for a 9-5, last thing you wanna do is work on another when you get home. Get that seat time though that's real important.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Its waaaayyyy more than 9-5, but to be honest I really don't get tired of it, I'm learning a ton of fabrication skills and getting to do things I've only dreamed about. Its really not so much motivation as time at our shop, with the lift occupied and the place stuffed with cars and equipment we gotta work on our own stuff in between customer cars. Some of those builds can take up to 8 months.

I'm really looking forward to getting some road course time this summer! Once we get the shop moved to the new location we need to get with the guys on C3G and meet for a track event!
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

My new job is 10 minutes away from NJMP. I can hear the cars in the office like I'm sitting there watching them. Everytime I hear them I remember your pics of you running the track. Don't ask me why lol.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

That awesome, it would drive me nutz to work next to a track and not be able to run lol. Ill be there next month though, slide I may be able to give you a ride along if they allow it.

I probably won't have time to try and go for a ride lol
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast