The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Money Pit!

Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Showing results 521 to 540 of 710
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    Yes i got the 65mm. But what adapters are you talking about??
    Yeah, I have 65mm tanabes on my megans and they are fine, however I never really had piece of mind about it. I also wonder if the proper adapters would help with the annoying popping noise I'm getting sometimes from the front.

Something like this:

This is a different thing but just to give an idea, it would be the same concept but id 62mm, od 65mm.

Maybe for the helper springs?

I know 2 mm isnt alot but I like whens measurments match in certain cases. Hyperco has a good reputation any way so will see. Im sure Ill being switching rates again soon anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    Maybe for the helper springs?

I know 2 mm isnt alot but I like whens measurments match in certain cases. Hyperco has a good reputation any way so will see. Im sure Ill being switching rates again soon anyhow.
    No doubt that hyperco isn't a great brand as well but I'm looking for a comfortable set of springs for daily driving. We have some lovely roads in NJ so swift won't the battle in terms of comfort. If this was for the racecar then I would've probably bought hyperco and saved few pennies.

I didn't see anything that lists adapters. I plan on calling swift briefly to confirm this.
    Last edited by spdracr; 08-18-2015 at 04:19 PM
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

JIC had a nice selection of spring rates there for awhile, do they not have them anymore?
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Im not sure I didn't ask.

JIC springs are definitely a few notches below Swift & Hyperco.

Even Eibach.

Call MCS. Get custom shocks made. Enjoy life forever. If I keep the galant long term and strip it that's what will happen to mine
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    call mcs. Get custom shocks made. Enjoy life forever. If i keep the galant long term and strip it that's what will happen to mine
    mcs??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Motion Control Suspension, Yea that would be nice if they would be willing to custom make something.

They will. I talked to them about it at one point.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Someone mentioned before about the binding up of the spring on the top hats while steering lock to lock (really only when parking) and I always had the same problem. So I found about these rings called thrust sheets. There 4 rings per corner, 2 plastic and 2 metal which go on above and below the spring, supposedly its supposed eliminate that issue by making the spring move smoother while turning. Ill let you know if it works as soon is the car is back on the ground.

My coilovers came with rings but only on the bottom and one looked worn so that's why I decided to search for new ones and discovered these.

Here they are installed

They were only $25 so I figured it was worth a try.

Also I wanted to share pics from July, once a year Tire Rack and a magazine called Grassroots Motorsports put on whats called the Ultimate Track Car Challenge or UTCC. Its ran by Nasa Mid-Atlantic (the club I run with) so the Friday before the regular NASA weekend the UTCC time trial event is held and its really exciting, people from just about all over the country bring their car to compete. Theres a variety of cars and drivers that show up, regular weekend guys to professional drivers from the Pirelli World Challenge and the Tudor series.

I think this was my favorite 53 Ford on a NASCAR chassis

These guys came from Indiana

Here you can see the driver seat, pedal box and steering wheel have been pushed back for better center of gravity.

Retired Daytona Prototypes from the old Grand-Am series, by far my most favorite race car.

Theres a Subby shop near me called Element Tuning and the owner is also a driver of two cars. A FRS and a STI, hes always developing these cars and is always competing in several different groups like NARRA, GTA and NASA. This guy loves what he does and is SCARY fast, hes also rolled his STI at least 2 times and caught fire in the FRS but I guess it goes with the territory. If your ever on youtube look him under element tuning, theres one of the scary roll overs from VIR on there.

The over all winner was a factory Viper race car driven by Ben Keating, both him and the car compete in the Tudor series which if you ask me isn't very Grassroots but it is what it is. Ben Keating and the Viper competed I don't think it was the same Viper) in the 24 hours of Leman this past year which is awesome I think to be competing and two very far ends of the racing world so he gets props for that.

First time I've heard of someone moving the pedals back for better center of gravity as with that evo. However, I think I've read about moving the motor before for the same purpose. But to go as far as the pedals, I see what people really mean by "because racecar" lol.

Seems like some nice cars at that event and purpose built.
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 09-11-2015 at 12:24 PM

I never heard of moving the motor, usually you fabricate the setup according to the engine placement.

Only thing I have seen is the Honda K series Gansta Lean, where the engine assembly is leaned forward on an EG/Ek/DC2 chasis.

Mostly used in Drag cars to allow for a bigger turbo without the use of a sidewinder manifold sitting above the tranny making it a bitch to work on the transmission. When used on an all motor car the ITB's face down rather than up, increasing airflow into the motor and allowing a better flowing exhaust for out the hood or fender setups.

Hmm. Coulda swore I read of someone using aftermarket mounts or fabbed some to either lower or move the engine in one direction or another. Maybe I read wrong. But the pedals I would never even think of.

Example, or so they claim. http://shop.battlegarage-rs.com/prod...-engine-mounts. Dunno how accurate that is, I have zero experience in racing cars lol.

As far as I seen on the net never in person engines get moved around when either swapping in a bigger motor or changing configuration like from fwd to rwd. Ideally you don't want to much motor hanging forward of the front suspension plane, makes for a terribly unbalanced car. I would guess that best location for the motor on modern cars has already been thought out by the manufacture but you know how tuners are, theres always room for improvement.

As far as the driver being pushed back its not that uncommon in a purpose built time attack car were balance is a big part of the game. For some reason Ive mostly seen it on Evo's, I can think of at least 4 in the country. Im guessing sports cars are already optimized in this way like Vettes and S200's to name a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    Someone mentioned before about the binding up of the spring on the top hats while steering lock to lock (really only when parking) and I always had the same problem. So I found about these rings called thrust sheets. There 4 rings per corner, 2 plastic and 2 metal which go on above and below the spring, supposedly its supposed eliminate that issue by making the spring move smoother while turning. Ill let you know if it works as soon is the car is back on the ground.
    Here they are installed

Great post, I'm curious to see the results. And those are some fun cars, love the ford.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

In the Volvo world we relocate engines all the time since mounting lower and farther back can help give a much better balance. In rally the driver and co-driver are usually smushed into the center most of the car as possible. This is to centralize weight to reduce transfer, as well as keep as much metal between the occupants and whatever object they come in contact with.

Those cars are nuts though, I hope to be building at that level here in a few years. You have the opportunity to go to so many cool events, all the tracks around me are getting dicked around by the governments and really limiting the events they can host.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Government? really? Why do they get involved? Only hassles on the east coast are sound levels, certain tracks like lime rock you have to be below 95 db's on certain days due to the track being so close to rich neighborhoods. I think Roebling has a db limit also. Most people just lift as they past db meter to get away with it though. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Your lucky bro, I could only wish to work at motorsports shop. I have my garage but my car is done so it gets kinda boring in there and no room for another project. If could though it would be 2jz swap on 88-92 Toyota Cressida, track car of course!

Sound was an issue at Auto Club in Fontana, the argument was noise polution to nearby neighborhoods. In order to reopen the dragstrip that was closed for a few years they had to build a reflective sound wall a certain height for the length of the strip. A bunch of bullshit but it happens. The racers argued the track was there before the neighborhoods surrounding it, but people with money will buy their way all the time to get their argument across.

Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast